• What’s your latest read then @AshK ?

For me I’ve always been a super big reader, but when I don’t have enough time I started listening to audiobooks of the books I read while doing other stuff. Probably doesn’t have all the benefits of really reading from a page, but it’s fun too. Then when i have time again I go back to reading the paper version.

I’d recommend it too for peeps who really want to get into reading but might get bored or discouraged from a book, go find the audiobook and try it out before giving that book up.

Only problem now is finding free audiobooks 🥲

• @WtfJudith
    Well recently I finished "my Geeta". And after few days of struggle started "super intelligence". The struggle coz I didn't planned well enough for next book.
    I believe reading should be boring and hard to aquire for beginners. Nowadays there r a lot of distractions for humans, that is why lots of people find reading hard n boring.
    My battle is to be good at this boring task. That's y indulge myself to read audio books. Plus it makes me imagine the scene from my perspective. After reading "the giver" I found there is a movie based on it. I didn't like it after watching trailer. Coz I have imagined the whole story and it was perfect for me. Same with the midnight library and the stranger .
    Since it's nnn I am trying to read non fiction lol. Just remember I could have pick the sapienes.

• @AshK said in Do you read or not ?:

@WtfJudith
    Well recently I finished "my Geeta". And after few days of struggle started "super intelligence". The struggle coz I didn't planned well enough for next book.
    I believe reading should be boring and hard to aquire for beginners. Nowadays there r a lot of distractions for humans, that is why lots of people find reading hard n boring.

Once in a while reading a “boring book” is fine, but why waste time reading something if you don’t enjoy yourself when doing it?
    Although for me when I read a book I often picture it like a movie rolling in my head, but I heard some people can’t picture things in their mind like that. Might be why some find it more boring than others

My battle is to be good at this boring task. That's y indulge myself to read audio books. Plus it makes me imagine the scene from my perspective. After reading "the giver" I found there is a movie based on it. I didn't like it after watching trailer. Coz I have imagined the whole story and it was perfect for me. Same with the midnight library and the stranger .
    Since it's nnn I am trying to read non fiction lol. Just remember I could have pick the sapienes.

Many fiction books out there can teach you just as much as some non fiction, but in a more entertaining and memorable way.
    Although yeah, it’s probably better to read a mix of both. I should probably read more non fiction, but there are so many fiction books I wanna read first. 😅

• I can’t live without reading. I love it so much. Although, it may just be what I’m reading.

I read many light novels using the platform Webnovel. I’ve found that regular people who love to write can bring so much to your life. Although many start out shaky, many will also become well done fictional novels. Novels like: Supremacy Games, Shadow Slave, Omega Summoner, Earth’s Greatest Magus. All of them give me such a spark of happiness that I could never live without. You may not like reading, but maybe it’s because of the form you are consuming literature. There’s nothing wrong with a thick hard copy, there’s nothing wrong with a library, there’s nothing wrong with folklore, nothing wrong about history, legends, myths, poems, short stories, fictional/non-fictional, foreign literature, manga/webtoons, fan-fics, and everything else. It doesn’t have to be ao much as a love for reading as many just find it interesting. Whatever is your calling, whatever resonates with you, there’s nothing wrong with it, and you shouldn’t conform to just a certain standard of what reading a book should look like. In all honesty you may dislike it, but it doesn’t mean you dislike reading. In one way or another reading is for everyone. Maybe even writing. Some of you may agree and sone of may disagree. That doesn’t matter as long as you could read this post.

• @WtfJudith
    Yeah now I get it. The words doesn't make any sense when one is bored to read. just finished reading session
    I will take a break from non fictional. Ig I'm not ready yet for it. But I like deep work by cal Newport a lot. It was interesting.
    I will find one soon. Tho I feel bad for not finishing the current one.

• @Unimportant-0
    Yeah I got your point. Every genre is worth giving shot. I also found some books r interesting and some r boring. I should find what interests me. Ig that's good for starters. Appreciate your pov 👍

• @AshK said in Do you read or not ?:

If the luck is with me then I read 10 pages in 30 mins otherwise it be like 6-8 pages. I am wondering what is the "normal" page count. Lemme know what's urs.

Of course, it depends on the goals and the type of books.

Some books are to be tasted, some to be fully swallowed, some to be chewed a bit and some to be just smelt depending on your purpose.

If you are reading mainly for fun then the normal page count is 0 to infinity.

If done for long-term insight then efficiency i.e. how much value you are getting from the book by putting in how much effort or time is more important than how much you are reading. For example, one may read half of a page and then try to remember and think about the takeaways and maybe even re-read if needed.

For certain categories of books (e.g. advice/self-help books: the kinds that you read), reading/hearing summary and just the key takeaways are more beneficial than reading it fully.

Many years ago, I used to read mostly fiction mainly for entertainment though I now prefer mostly non-fiction. At present, I generally only read 3 non-fiction books: 1 page from each every day. It takes less than 20 minutes. This can be effective for important books that you find boring. Of course, I am not including the articles and other stuff that I read.

Also if u like to share books you have read, feel free to do it. I'm all ears for book suggestions. even though the bucket list is full

Most of the books I have ever read are in my native language and don't have English translations which is why they are not relevant to you. As for books available in English, 'Sapiens' & 'The Prince' are on my Reading List.

• @Barzakh yeah. I like your reasoning, its boring but important.
    my dopamine baseline must have been increase, that's why I feel bored when I read something informative.
    I should do something for this. like quitting short content or something.

• @AshK For me it started as a distraction, but today it is a need, there's so much abilities you can develop just by reading...

Well, I would say I can read around 10 pages, that's a good average in 30 minutes I think... (didn't start off as much as 10 pages though xD)
    Although I think you may consider that the reading momentum varies according to your interest on the narrative/ subject, on the writing style (either it is familiar to you or not), on the context you're reading, or the page/ font size..???

• @davitchen my page count has decrease now. it 5-6 now. but I don't regrate it. coz the book I am reading I very interesting. I take time to read and analyze / imagine what I have read. it's a fun activity if you choose a category you like.