• The idea of something is always better than the thing itself. Discuss.

We always think it's cool to try and express ourselves, but -- somehow -- something always gets lost in translation, or washed away in the skuzziness of consumer culture.

Should we even try to bother -- is it even worth -- trying to bring into reality all the cool plans and ideas we have? Democracy -- looks good on paper, but in reality, it's just a way of appeasing business men and their lazy housewife overlords. Communism -- looks good on paper, but in reality, it always just leads to corruption and totalitarianism.

Art. Go to the nearest bit of art you've got to hand, be it a TV show, or a movie, or a book, a painting. Is it pushing the boundaries? Was it made by someone desperately trying to sum up their lives before they die? Or is it just a generic cop show? Or a disposable thriller novel? If it's a painting, is it an oil painting with tens of thousands of brush strokes, or is it just something knocked up in a few hours?

Plus, or course, there's the personal stuff. The rationale of at least two ex girlfriends is that the idea of me, my unique selling point, far exceeded what they actually got (which is fair enough: I am rubbish).

TWS itself. Should be: a magical relay system able to send messages to strangers, skimming under the radar of mass media and social expectations. But is: the sexting capital of our universe.

Eh?

wonky surfer.jpg

• @Indrid-Cold said in The idea of something is always better than the thing itself:

We always think it's cool to try and express ourselves, but -- somehow -- something always gets lost in translation, or washed away in the skuzziness of consumer culture.

True. Being able to express oneself clearly is something quite many people (including me) lack...its just either you hold yourself back or as you've described above your thoughts gets washed away in the skuzziness(is that even a word lol😅)

Should we even try to bother -- is it even worth -- trying to bring into reality all the cool plans and ideas we have? Democracy -- looks good on paper, but in reality, it's just a way of appeasing business men and their lazy housewife overlords. Communism -- looks good on paper, but in reality, it always just leads to corruption and totalitarianism.

I couldn't agree with you more! The grass is always greener on the other side..

Plus, or course, there's the personal stuff. The rationale of at least two ex girlfriends is that the idea of me, my unique selling point, far exceeded what they actually got (which is fair enough: I am rubbish).

way to go😂

TWS itself. Should be: a magical relay system able to send messages to strangers, skimming under the radar of mass media and social expectations. But is: the sexting capital of our universe.

the best description ever! Period.

Mate I gotta ask tho, how the heck do you come up with so many tags everytime you post?

• @Anastasia-Smith Creating sillyboy tags is the best part of the TWS experience (IMHO). Thanx for the input AS. I like that you're as cynical as me.

• @spaceboy said in The idea of something is always better than the thing itself:

Look at the good things you've got.

True dat. You can always find some old newspapers. Read what's going on. Some of them have even got photos of ladies, smiling, showing their ankles, shoulders, etc. What more does a man need?

• @Indrid-Cold said in The idea of something is always better than the thing itself:

@spaceboy said in The idea of something is always better than the thing itself:

Look at the good things you've got.

True dat. You can always find some old newspapers. Read what's going on. Some of them have even got photos of ladies, smiling, showing their ankles, shoulders, etc. What more does a man need?

I thought you were being philosophical for a second....until😂

• Trying to find happiness from an object is always deeply underwhelming in my experience

• @Indrid-Cold ahh...another brain-spider that you have created! Wonderful! Thrilling! Magnificent....i'll wait for it to come out for rental.......
    Yes, we are rubbish with our wants, yet it is no fun to Not Try. So your Silver Surfer looks like you fighting a roll of tinfoil or just escaped from Tysons Chicken Kitchen! At least you tried, next time you can do better.....okay?