• @dragonfly33 said in Why do you believe what you believe?:

@petrapark3r
    if u start questioning then all its over

I absolutely disagree. You should definitely question your faith, so you actually know what you believe and why. If your faith doesn't withstand that, you actually never had one to begin with :shrug:

Also... You can answer this question without questioning your faith :yum:

• @petrapark3r I just read title n replay here. I'll replay againπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• I was raised to believe in God, and regard the name of Jesus, and being that there are witches, and warlocks in my ancestry, among the demonic attacks our family has been through I never questioned if God was real, rather that in being swarmed by legions of demonic entities, and worn down in spiritual realms, as well as by my peers in their own agendas, or disregard the only times I ever question God are out of fury, or discontent. In this I have learned we don't get what we want, things don't go our way, and bad things happen because the enemy just wants us to reject, or deny God, or even sell out to get what we want. I feel what I have been through, and witnessed is more than belief that God exists. I know he exists, but to me faith has become more about does he love me or not, and when I doubt his love things are terrible, but when I feel he does love me even when things are bad I feel much more comforted.

• @petrapark3r

Heres what i think.

Bread. Yes Bread, Its fantastic and its going to be the great example in this rant. Put said bread on a counter and what does it do in time. It goes stale Oh! but wait! it then grows mold. Mold wouldnt of always grown there without the bread and without the time it took - nothing could of sustained itself to that extent. it created a form of life or energy otherwise unintended. Life finds a way is my point - provided the environment can sustain it.

Religious scriptures say nothing about black holes damn it. Jokes aside the really interesting thing is black holes die too.

I honestly feel at this point in my life that religion has been beaten down on us for no other purpose then to keep a morality check and to outcast those who refuse. Ill also say its a troubling thought ive had for awhile just meaning it doesnt sit well with me. What i can appreciate of religions though is the only bond i know that works so well to get people together. For the most part.

Picard out,

• Hmm...the "bread" comment is good.

Myself? Raised Babtist, went to church as it suited my father. I am Buddhist by stress relief, Pagen/Wiccan for the interesting talks, attend a LDS Morman church to keep my mind sharp. Yet, faith? Hard question that I have no answer except Mr Pratchett "religion is something to do with the milk of the Sky Cow and the gonads of God mixing " I have more faith in my child than some Being/Entity/ other.

• @spacegirl said in Why do you believe what you believe?:

@petrapark3r Interesting question.

My family never so religious. I was baptized in my childhood, but I wasn't raised in faith, so much.. I remember, that in different parts of my life, my attitude to the religion and faith was different. Sometimes, my mind was throwing in different directions. Now days, I found myself deeply faithful and skeptic at the same time. Agnostic? Maybe, but I don't think so.

It would be interesting to know what you mean by deeply faithful. What exactly do put your faith in?
    I can very well understand the skeptic part. Always keep your mind sharp, questioning, never just believing things without any reason...

The heaven is on the right side, the void is on the left side, I am walking on a wire between them. Nothing to wish anything, no reason to be someone. Hello, it's me :-)

Aren't you curious? Don't you want to get to the truth?
    I do understand that on many days you don't want to. Me neither. But on some days, I really freakin want to know, iykwim...

Interesting, what will I say about it after ten years later?

I will ask you again :joy:

• @steelfirehawk said in Why do you believe what you believe?:

I was raised to believe in God, and regard the name of Jesus, and being that there are witches, and warlocks in my ancestry, among the demonic attacks our family has been through I never questioned if God was real, rather that in being swarmed by legions of demonic entities, and worn down in spiritual realms, as well as by my peers in their own agendas, or disregard the only times I ever question God are out of fury, or discontent. In this I have learned we don't get what we want, things don't go our way, and bad things happen because the enemy just wants us to reject, or deny God, or even sell out to get what we want. I feel what I have been through, and witnessed is more than belief that God exists. I know he exists, but to me faith has become more about does he love me or not, and when I doubt his love things are terrible, but when I feel he does love me even when things are bad I feel much more comforted.

That sounds strong. It also sounds like guidance would do you well. Sadly there are so few truly spiritual people living in this world today, so it is indeed hard to find one.

He loves you alright, more than you could ever imagine.

• @Donwright-Music said in Why do you believe what you believe?:

@petrapark3r

Heres what i think.

Bread. Yes Bread, Its fantastic and its going to be the great example in this rant. Put said bread on a counter and what does it do in time. It goes stale Oh! but wait! it then grows mold. Mold wouldnt of always grown there without the bread and without the time it took - nothing could of sustained itself to that extent. it created a form of life or energy otherwise unintended. Life finds a way is my point - provided the environment can sustain it.

Religious scriptures say nothing about black holes damn it. Jokes aside the really interesting thing is black holes die too.

Yeah, life is incredible. And we haven't figured out most of its mysteries yet, through our scientific looking glass. No one has even come close to an idea how something as complex as life (as in: the first lifeform) could have evolved. I'm talking science here, this is a well established fact.

I honestly feel at this point in my life that religion has been beaten down on us for no other purpose then to keep a morality check and to outcast those who refuse. Ill also say its a troubling thought ive had for awhile just meaning it doesnt sit well with me. What i can appreciate of religions though is the only bond i know that works so well to get people together. For the most part.

Well, religious is what we are, its deeply human to be religious. It never has been any other way, atheism is a thing of our age. And I wouldn't quite so easily attribute a "purpose", if you know what I mean. People always believed in something you know? The believes changed, especially with the development of rational thought and philosophy. Religions that did not make sense to reason (like the roman pantheon for example) died out, by first becoming rituals to divinity itself instead of to say Athena or Mars (e.g. they stopped believing in the individual gods), then by becoming completely empty and only a means of bringing people together. And then, they were replaced by something more powerful and less prone to being criticized out of existence (in this case by christianity)...

• @Sabo-go-thud said in Why do you believe what you believe?:

Hmm...the "bread" comment is good.

Myself? Raised Babtist, went to church as it suited my father.

Like most of us :joy:

I am Buddhist by stress relief

Well buddhist in its purest form, as preached by Gautama, was more of a philosophy and a skill (meditation) than a religion, so this certainly makes sense. The little Buddha statues however are actually a veneration of a god, since many buddhist ways believe that Buddha transcended into divinity through enlightenment. He however would not have agreed :joy:

, Pagen/Wiccan for the interesting talks

what a colorful world out there, eh? Heard of Wiccan for the first time on TWS.

, attend a LDS Morman church to keep my mind sharp.

How often do you attend that church? And how does it keep your mind sharp?

Yet, faith? Hard question that I have no answer except Mr Pratchett "religion is something to do with the milk of the Sky Cow and the gonads of God mixing " I have more faith in my child than some Being/Entity/ other.

That makes sense. Faith takes a long time to grow, and in the chrisitian sense, it is not really about believing that there is a god, and that he wants this or that.

If you could ask an israelite (the folk of the old testament) about what they believe in, they wouldn't tell you that they believe in the allmighty God, creator of the universe, and the lot of those doctrines. Instead they would tell you a story! They would tell you about how this God walked with them, out of egypt, into the promised land. How he was angry with them, when they left Him, and how he restored them, when they returned. They would talk about how God acted in their lives, and this too is at the core of true chrisitianity. Real faith is not theological discourse. It is trust, in God's action, in your life, here and now. And this trust grows over time as you see Him act more and more.

• @petrapark3r Experience!

• @wbpoet said in Why do you believe what you believe?:

@petrapark3r Experience!

Good answer. Me too. In my faith it is important too, to always use your ratio, to interpret your experience correctly. Fides et Ratio, always together.

• @petrapark3r dont know ratios just GOD people can believe in aliens but not god gets me everytime makes me laugh.

• @wbpoet said in Why do you believe what you believe?:

@petrapark3r dont know ratios just GOD people can believe in aliens but not god gets me everytime makes me laugh.

Yeah, thats a crazy one. I mean not the fact that they are out there, but the fact in what kinds of things they see clear evidence that they are already here :joy:. if it only made sense...

• @petrapark3r okay. That makes the morning more interesting! ON ATTENDING Mormon church; I go at least twice a month at minimum. This is due to the church being 5 miles (8 kilometers ) away by bicycle.

I keep my mind sharp by debating with the Elders ( these are the kids 16 and older) who are soon to preach their "book" as they are sent to Africa, South America and such for 3 years. I test their Faith with my logic AND research in Old Testement translation and the Jewish translations.

• @Sabo-go-thud said in Why do you believe what you believe?:

@petrapark3r okay. That makes the morning more interesting! ON ATTENDING Mormon church; I go at least twice a month at minimum. This is due to the church being 5 miles (8 kilometers ) away by bicycle.

I keep my mind sharp by debating with the Elders ( these are the kids 16 and older) who are soon to preach their "book" as they are sent to Africa, South America and such for 3 years. I test their Faith with my logic AND research in Old Testement translation and the Jewish translations.

Very interesting! How do the mormons react? Or do you pretend you're mormon?