Where is Everyone?

• Music Lovers

Where is Everyone?

Did they leave?

Are we the only living thing in the entire universe?

The observable universe is about 90 billion light-years(and that is an 8 followed by 23 zeroes in km!) in diameter.
    And there are at least 100 billion galaxies, each with 100 to 1000 billion stars. So there are probably trillions and trillions of habitable planets in the universe which means;
    There should be lots of opportunity for life to develop and exist!
    Right? But where is it?!

let's take a step back. Even if there are alien civilisations in other galaxies there's no way we'll ever know about them;
    Basically everything outside of our direct galactic neighbourhood the so called local group is pretty much out of our reach forever because of the rate of expansion of the universe.
    Even if we had really fast spaceships it would literally take billions of years to reach these places. And yet, we call them neighbouring galaxies.

So let's focus on our home galaxy, The Milky Way.
    It consists of up to 400 billion stars, roughly for every 10,000 grain of sand on earth there are about 20 billion sun-like stars in the Milky Way and estimates suggest that, 1/5 of them have an earth-sized planet, in its habitable zone ( the area with conditions that enable life to exist )
    If only 0.1% of those planets Harboured life there would be 1 million planets with life in the Milky Way.

But wait there's more;
    The Milky Way is about 13 billion years old
    In the beginning it would not have been a good place for life because things exploded a lot. But after one to two billion years, the first habitable planets were born.
    Earth is only 4 billion years old. So there have probably been trillions of chances for life to develop on other planets, in the past and if only a single one of them had developed into a space traveling super civilisation, we would've noticed them by now( @spaceboy and @lurker, please confirm ๐Ÿ˜‚ ).

There are 3 categories of civilisation;

• type 1 civilisation
      would be able to access the whole energy available on its planet.( and incase you're wondering humanity is a mere 0.73 on this scale! )

• type 2 Civilisation
      capable of harnessing all of the energy of its home star

• type 3 Civilisation
      civilisation that basically controls its whole galaxy and its energy
      an alien race this advanced, would probably be godlike to us!

But why should we be able to see such an alien civilisation?

If we were to build spaceships that could sustain a population for around 1,000 years, we could colonise the whole galaxy in 2 million years sounds like a long time. But remember the Milky Way is huge so if it takes a couple of million years to colonise the entire galaxy and there are possibly millions if not billions of planets that sustain life in the Milky Way, and these other life-forms have had more time than we've had!

BUT

Then where are all the aliens?......

This is

The Fermi paradox

and nobody has an answer to it

EIth1Hr.gif

• Hella Assassins

In the most pessimistic probabilities among the trillions of known stars one has to consider the even the most fragile possibility of repeating the combinations found on this small rocky planet in a star of small magnitude as is the sun. Temperature, pressure, liquid water, atmosphere, oxygen gas concentration, location in relation to the dominant star, presence of satellite, panspermia, radiation doses controlled by an ozone layer and of course the possibility of favoring the formation of life forms based on carbon are some of the complex variables to allow a sketch of this lost laboratory in known space.
    Although these rare conditions can be repeated, it is necessary to consider evolutionary stages of species that still do not leave the primordial brood, with no chance of thriving without first developing autotrophy, chemosynthesis of volcanic chimneys in deep oceans, first drafts of heterotrophy , concentration of minerals and nutrients to form simple amino acids and random tests of plasma resistance of the first microorganisms. Millions of years of evolution considering the bombardments of wandering bodies from the hostile space.
    It is the incredible combination of the hostility of the outside to absurdly fragile cellular organisms.

• Hella Assassins

Even if these very rare conditions were fulfilled we would still have the Homeric challenge of allowing the evolution of billions of years for propitiously said beings that would reach rudiments of rationality. For these beings still in their hypothesis of exsence and millions of years of evolution we would still have similar difficulty to ours of their longevity, oxidized their genes by aerobic respiration, hydrolysis by hydrogen in their deoxyribonucleic acids. These possible beings should still develop technology to extract themselves from their orbs thousands of light years, defying the unknown to suffer the inclemencies of space and risking their existence, despite the most brilliant fictions that we have written since Jules Verne.

• Hella Assassins

we would need for this logical effort still to predict the sensory compatibilities of the diversified natures that an infinite space would be able to elaborate over the billions of years and still imagine whether other non-carbon based life forms are viable entering our inhospitable globe and our hostile species for an entrance of other beings.

• BEST REPLIES Hella Assassins Fake Moderators

@IM-NOT-NEEDY said in Where is Everyone?:

we would've noticed them by now

I often joke around and call myself an alien, since I personally think I have a very unique way of thinking and seeing things, I like to think myself as someone weird and exquisite. People that know me can probably confirm this... And let me double check... people that KNOW me, there's very few in TWS that does and none of the people that i'm thinking fully knows me... and that's because we, as humans, are a never ending change! ๐Ÿคท

Back to topic, my guess is that there are indeed other civilizations but it's as the meme says:

alt text

"This" is "Us" the human race.
    Would you approach and try to be friend something you find boring and don't identify with? I know... we shouldn't judge a book by the cover, but a civilization that has means to fully travel the space would really bother with someone that is struggling to actually move? ๐Ÿค”

• Music Lovers

@Berin
    thanks for the detailed reply!
    It must be fault at my end, but your vocabulary, went over my head most of the time.
    So excuse me, if I misinterpret your reply somehow.

But from what I could've grasped, you were making a point, that 'carbon' based life form, would be of extreme probability?
    I agree, but life isn't limited to carb, protein synthesis.
    We can see, diversity in life forms here on this obsolete rock we call a planet, that, Life comes in various forms!
    From pseudo-living beings like viruses, to full fledged apocalypse machines like us, humans. Life doesnt limit itself to 'carbon' based, but, proves to, encompass, anything and everything, it can!

• Music Lovers

@spaceboy

Life!
    its an interesting and vast topic, by itself, but I'll try to give my views on it;
    We all started from, something as trivial as a single celled prokaryote, But gradually, we became this colossal mess we are!
    This just goes to show that even something as pointless as a bacteria can set a journey of life in motion. And as @lurker correctly said, 'never judge a book by it's cover' .
    So life for me, is anything that can show a sign of improvement, and propagation.
    Call it evolution if you may.

so what will you define life as?

• Music Lovers

@Berin

First off thanks, your comment made me research a bit more, and I was able to find this;
    some theories about alternative life-forms

I agree with you, at our level of understanding. We cant, prove, that life other than carbon-based, can exist.
    But, our understanding of the universe, is yet on questionable levels. No matter, how many bold claims we make, end of the day, we are clueless as to what is going on.
    And like @spaceboy mentioned (I highly recommend you read his comments, he made some solid points), anything can be a type of life-form. But our limited grasp of reality, always makes us think otherwise.

• Yeah. The Drake Equation. I think it's the best thing Charlie Drake ever did (though I do like Rhubarb Rhubarb).

But my own personal theory? The vibe I get? There are / were / will be numerous space-civilizations and they all reach more or less the same level of sophistication as us, but never any further. Because of the insidious, evil, gnostic nature of capitalism. In the end, it tears apart all thinking life. Look me in the eye and tell me we'll ever have a Star Trek style Starfleet while our economies are this fragile, and getting worse every day. Y'know. Sorry to be a downer, folks.

• Music Lovers

@Lurker said in Where is Everyone?:

@IM-NOT-NEEDY said in Where is Everyone?:

we would've noticed them by now

I often joke around and call myself an alien, since I personally think I have a very unique way of thinking and seeing things, I like to think myself as someone weird and exquisite. People that know me can probably confirm this... And let me double check... people that KNOW me, there's very few in TWS that does and none of the people that i'm thinking fully knows me... and that's because we, as humans, are a never ending change! ๐Ÿคท

WDYM JOKE AROUND!
    also I agree, everyone is unique in their own way, but many people instead of embracing that uniqueness, try to become what their peers want them to be like, and when they fail, they start to feel alienated. But to see, that you haven't given into that pressure, but rather have embraced it, is reassuring. Keep up man!

Back to topic, my guess is that there are indeed other civilizations but it's as the meme says:

alt text

"This" is "Us" the human race.
    Would you approach and try to be friend something you find boring and don't identify with? I know... we shouldn't judge a book by the cover, but a civilization that has means to fully travel the space would really bother with someone that is struggling to actually move? ๐Ÿค”

See, who's talking about becoming friends?
    Its an innate rule of nature, the strong dominates the weak. Friendship, is amongst the equals.
    When the colonisers, landed on the American soil for the first time, I dont think, they had friendship in their mind.
    So, I dont think, If they are strong enough, then they would have friendship in their mind.

• Global Veteran Hella Assassins

Well.. Before searching life anywhere, we should answer what exactly we are searching. Trees and grass also an a life form. And how many types of life form could exists? And what is the life by itself? Do we really know the answer, what life is it? Life for one species, could be death for another one. Does it mean, that life and death are the same thing, that was artificially divided by our poor language?
    We asking the questions in the wrong way. Instead of looking to another galaxies, we don't looking at things that happening under our feet.
    Even stones could be another life form.. Even dust..

• Global Veteran Hella Assassins

@IM-NOT-H0RNY I think that the process of defining itself, brings some problems.

Is the life is what I see? Will I see it, when time of my existence will end. Are objects continue their existence, when the observer's existence ends? Is life equal to the existence?

These questions have a lot of words. Some of them are interesting, but at the end all of them will be wrong. And all modern theories will be also wrong in time.

There is a biological definition of life, that we all learned in school. This definition can be used in our ordinary life. But I think the humanity sees only the top of the iceberg.
    We can talk about life, and think about every object which exists. But it won't be the same as just cells and bacteria.
    When we starts to imagine about life in other galaxies, we often think about the same life form as we. But personally I think it is too narrow. Even a planet itself could be a life form by it's own. I hope in future we will know the answer. But unfortunately it will be another top, of another iceberg.

• Music Lovers

@spaceboy

Thatโ€™s the thing with language, in order to understand, you have to define. Like it or hate it, it is what it is.

โ€œIf a tree falls, and no one listens. Did it really fall?โ€

The question of life existing, but only when you do, comes from the place of ego, and trust me, the universe doesnt revolve around us. But at this point of time, your guess are as good as mine.

But all in all, what may be life for you, might be utter waste for me. And what might be life for me, might be mere dust and stones for you.
    So, itโ€™s all up to, what one desires to find in the end.

• @IM-NOT-HORMY honey Im home

• BEST REPLIES Hella Assassins Fake Moderators

@IM-NOT-HRNY said in Where is Everyone?:

the strong dominates the weak.

The same principle applies then! ๐Ÿ˜… We might be so insignificant to them that they don't even bother ๐Ÿ˜‚ It's sad but might be the truth hahaha

@IM-NOT-HRNY said in Where is Everyone?:

WDYM JOKE AROUND!

Yes m8, sorry i'm not an alien ๐Ÿ˜‚

• tws gay club but no homo Watch Anime Eyes Gamers

@IM-NOT-ALIAN
    Hey.. I like that u also into astrology like I'm .. I made a lot of hypothesis on astrology concepts.. N I made new one(more then one) while reading ur topic..

1. maybe they know human r not worthy yet to know em. N waiting for being like them so they have to visit us for their growth.. I mean who don't think about own profit .. Maybe aliens think too..
    2. maybe they visit our planet but they know how to talk with other species, like dog, cat, dolphins , octopus.. N they got enough data to judge humans ..
    3. or they somehow find a way to jump into dimensions for fast af space travel.. N who knows when die then we open eyes in another dimension called "heaven/hell" ..
    4. maybe we r nobita's science project or someone like nobita n that guy store us in doremon's pocket... ๐Ÿ˜…
    5. or they really far away from us .. Btw did u know that "wow message" people says that message is send by aliens.. N we still not able to decode that.. That message received on 15 Aug 1977 n some scientists says that message sent 200 years ago .. (So yeah.. Aliens exist for sure.. N they r not just only one).
    6. or they want us to be like em before our meet up .. Blah blah blah..
      I just over think .. ๐Ÿ˜…
      Btw I'm not astrology student but like to make hypothesis ..
      U gave me boost for my Friday's fact.. Don't miss that.. U will love that ๐Ÿ˜‰ .. (N now lemme change ur username -_-)

• Hella Assassins

I agree with this analysis. The problem of our science, however advanced, is that it can only admit carbon bonds to constitute life as we know it, for in this rock lost in space was the only viability possible from the simplest organizations. Variations of non-formed carbon organizations would be interesting news to us. Too bad we have no comparative elements so our science can theorize about other forms of life.

• TL;DR......

• Music Lovers

@Indrid-Cold said in Where is Everyone?:

But my own personal theory? The vibe I get? There are / were / will be numerous space-civilizations and they all reach more or less the same level of sophistication as us, but never any further. Because of the insidious, evil, gnostic nature of capitalism. In the end, it tears apart all thinking life. Look me in the eye and tell me we'll ever have a Star Trek style Starfleet while our economies are this fragile, and getting worse every day. Y'know. Sorry to be a downer, folks.

its always capitalism innit ๐Ÿ˜‚

• Music Lovers

@Chicken-meat said in Where is Everyone?:

@IM-NOT-HORMY honey Im home

but I didnt order any kfc ๐Ÿ˜‚ โค

By using TalkWithStranger, you are accepting our privacy and usage terms . You must be 18+ or 13+ with parental permission to use our online chatting site.