If you were given a shred of proof, would it be enough?

• I feel this question is completely legitimate, because in my experience of debating and discussing religion and faith with those who want evidence and irrefutable proof; what will be sufficient proof? Something that can't be found online, hacked, guessed, given by another source, or manipulated. They go through all their research and read articles, books, scientific and philisophical journals and conclude that God doesn't exist and life doesn't continue after death. My guess is... They don't want the proof. But I'm willing to be wrong.

• @jacob55

@jacob55 said in If you were given a shred of proof, would it be enough?:

I feel this question is completely legitimate

There is strong and weak evidence-based and the base assumption is that unless the evidence is strong there is no reason to believe

because in my experience of debating and discussing religion and faith with those who want evidence and irrefutable proof; what will be sufficient proof?

I'm assuming you mean proof of god

A reasonable answer would be "We don't know what would be sufficient proof", the reason is that the definition of god is so vague that at this point anything from a worm to an all knowing creator of the universe can be called gods (hyperbole) so you are supposed to define what god is and even then how are we supposed to distinguish a highly advanced intelligence(an A.I. with superintelligence) from a divinity? Basically when you bring a jar of god to the scientists lab that might be enough, i don't know

Something that can't be found online, hacked, guessed, given by another source, or manipulated. They go through all their research and read articles, books, scientific and philisophical journals and conclude that God doesn't exist and life doesn't continue after death

Nah man that's not how it works, the scientific research(to the contrary of religious claims), articles, books, journals sure help but even if none of those existed people still didn't believe if when they were wise enough to be able to distinguish good evidence and bad evidence without help, an example would be Diagoras of Melos (5th century BC)
    And when it comes to there being nothing after death it's the same thing
    After you die it will probably feel the same way it felt before you were born
    @alwaysstranger said in Is There Life After Death?:

@emily said in Is There Life After Death?:
    @alwaysstranger LOL do you know how did it feel before you were born ?

Yeah NOTHING.

Lol you have no idea what is gonna happen after you are dead.

You too. But i believe there's nothing because according to science my consciousness is just a collection of neurons that'll stop working when I'm dead.

Read Quran or Bible! They all tell the same thing about this topic.

I'm an ex-muslim. So i have nothing new to read. I think I'll prefer science over religion and logic over faith anyday but you choose whatever you want

So yeh

My guess is... They don't want the proof. But I'm willing to be wrong.

You are wrong, many atheists wish religious stories to be true (I'm not one of them and i have my reasons) but simply find no good reason to believe in what are most likely fairy tales

• Will it be enough? Or will it depend on how you actually use that shred of proof?

• -deleted-

• @evan-elderson since atheists will never believe something on faith because of it being an unreliable pathway to truth the only thing left is very strong evidence(there are a lot of forms of evidence but the strongest in this case is peer reviewed scientific evidence)

• -deleted-

• @evan-elderson good to know man

P.S. an evidence*

• -deleted-

• Watch Anime Eyes

@evan-elderson known for making*

• -deleted-

• -deleted-

• @evan-elderson I'm 99.9% sure you can say "i am known to" but not "i am know to"

• -deleted-

• -deleted-

• @evan-elderson oh that makes sense, thanks for the information