• Just installing a 240gb ssd and noticed that, according to windows setup ... there is only 225gb.
    I probably seen this in the past but never paid attention.
    Anyone know a reason for this?
    Or are they just overrating drive space for increased sales?
    It almost feels like they stole a percentage of the space, I dunno .... maybe to pass on to Evil Corp or summit.

• The root cause of the difference of what is printed on the box of the external device and the actually displayed memory in the computer is the calculation method used by the disk manufacturing companies.

Our computers work on base 2 (binary) number system rather than the decimal system.

One megabyte of the product you are using is equal to 1,000,000 bytes in decimal base, but for a computer it is 1,048,576 bytes in binary base.

For each gigabyte advertised in base 10, you're actually receiving about 70 megabytes less than a gigabyte in base 2.

Manufacturers of disk drives will usually publish a disclaimer in this respect that the figures stated by them are in the base 10 of the number system.

This is the reason that the memory displayed in our computers appears to be less than what is actually given by the manufacturers.

The manufacturers do not cheat the people in this respect.

Virtual Storage Disk Storage
    1 MB = 1024 KB 1 MB = 1000 KB
    1 GB = 1024 MB 1 GB = 1024 MB
    8 GB = 8192 MB 8 GB = 8000 MB
    7.2 GB = 7372 MB 7.2 GB = 7200 MB

So there is a difference in what Kilo, Mega and Giga means and that difference is getting bigger the “stronger” the prefix is.

For Kilo, the difference is only 2.3%, for Mega it is 4.6% and for Giga it is 6.8% – see a pattern here?

Calculate similarly for 240 GB and you roughly get 225 GBs to use.

• @obviouslylucifer said in Are you being tucked up? Or what?:

The root cause of the difference of what is printed on the box of the external device and the actually displayed memory in the computer is the calculation method used by the disk manufacturing companies.

Our computers work on base 2 (binary) number system rather than the decimal system.

One megabyte of the product you are using is equal to 1,000,000 bytes in decimal base, but for a computer it is 1,048,576 bytes in binary base.

For each gigabyte advertised in base 10, you're actually receiving about 70 megabytes less than a gigabyte in base 2.

Manufacturers of disk drives will usually publish a disclaimer in this respect that the figures stated by them are in the base 10 of the number system.

This is the reason that the memory displayed in our computers appears to be less than what is actually given by the manufacturers.

The manufacturers do not cheat the people in this respect.

Virtual Storage Disk Storage
    1 MB = 1024 KB 1 MB = 1000 KB
    1 GB = 1024 MB 1 GB = 1024 MB
    8 GB = 8192 MB 8 GB = 8000 MB
    7.2 GB = 7372 MB 7.2 GB = 7200 MB

So there is a difference in what Kilo, Mega and Giga means and that difference is getting bigger the “stronger” the prefix is.

For Kilo, the difference is only 2.3%, for Mega it is 4.6% and for Giga it is 6.8% – see a pattern here?

Calculate similarly for 240 GB and you roughly get 225 GBs to use.

Tbh, I would normally go looking for the info regading a topic/issue like this, but after many years of tracking things down, making note... complaining where I need to I thought.. hang on .... I'm using this new (to me) site now.... let's throw it out there.
    You sir @ObviouslyLucifer are a man of much knowledge and it is greatly received.
    :)

• @ObviouslyLucifer as it happen's I have managed to do a clean install onto my new drive, fully updated since I posted the thread....
    I'm like ... Whaaaaa , for an old i5 with 8 gigs a ram I think I just created an interplanetary super rocket machine :D ..
    Got to get a few games on now to really check it out ;)

• @mr_peanut

That does sound like an awesome configuration!

More than enough for most games and softwares!

Have fun gaming!

:grin:

• @obviouslylucifer just a shame it only has standard graphics n sound lol
    An thanks :)

• @mr_peanut hmm...nice info ...

• @barton said in Are you being tucked up? Or what?:

@mr_peanut make be its a fake replica...is it a sandisk?

No, it's a Crucial BX200. I did get it second hand, but to be fair the place I got it wouldn't of bought it if their checks came back even slightly off key.