Interfaith Conversations!

• SEEKERS

This topic is inspired by my many talks with people of different faiths. The more I talked to them, the more I realised, how much common we have with each other. So let's extend the idea of idea of talks to; not just merely proving each other wrong, but to learn and try to find a common ground, and use this topic as a way to do that. 😄

Some ground rules;

1. the purpose of religions were to bind humanity together. But, we have corrupted the thought now to idealogical supremacy. It is time to change that regain the narrative back, SO BE RESPECTFUL as there can be no talks where there is no respect.
    2. Informations about religious texts will only be considered if they are from a credible source. NO FAKE NEWS
    3. Minimise fallacies and biases.
    4. Scrutinise the idea, not the follower. This means that, the actions of a community will not be considered as a valid argument, given that it is proven that the action goes against the idea or is a corruption of the idea which was given in the religious texts.
    5. Leave your Ego out of it, and LEARN!

@Science-and-Philosophy

• SEEKERS

Every Religion, to be considered one as a matter of fact has to have some sort of attempt of "reconnecting" the human being to a "higher entity" in order to give the fortunate individual another way to enjoy its life experience. I dont think it was supposed to "bind" humanity together, except by the fact that all those "reconnected" humans would, logically, have the same goals and way of perceiving reality. So it was always about individualy achieving something greater than creating a "community" of sorts. IMO, that's human meddling. Every religion has that element of making an Individual closer to "something greater" than him, and transforming him in the process.

• SEEKERS

• SEEKERS

this is a nice summary of all the basic concepts of the Dharmic faiths.
    I will encourage people following, other faiths to also give a good summarised material for the new comers to understand it!
    This is important so that the other people can understand your thought process, and empathise with the points which you give.

• SEEKERS

A summary of Islam, im not sure how accurate this is, so muslims are free to scrutinise.

• BOT Gamers Global Moderator

@Div
    where can I buy or rent geeta to read ? I mean is there any trustable online source ?
    p.s. PDF bhi chl jayegi 😂

• SEEKERS

@DontChange-it33 said in Interfaith Conversations!:

@Div
    where can I buy or rent geeta to read ? I mean is there any trustable online source ?
    p.s. PDF bhi chl jayegi 😂

https://archive.org/details/AutobiographyOfAYogiByParamahansaYogananda_201707/page/n1
    I would recommend you read this book first, so that you can get a dive into the mind of a true sanyasi, and hence understand the truth depths of Geeta.

Any version of Geeta is good, but I would advise that you as a hindu, shouldn't reference 'Bhagvat Geeta as it is, by Prabhupada' as it is very biblical in its core. This version of Geeta is good for people of the abrahamic faith to reference as a starters, as they will see many similarities with their already existing beliefs, but not for an already practicing hindu like you. 👍

https://archive.org/details/BhagavadGitaGodTalksWithArjunaRoyalScienceOfGodRealizationParamahansaYoganandaVol121/page/n2
    there ya go, this one is a good version for a practicing hindu!

• @Thales_BG said in Interfaith Conversations!:

Every Religion, to be considered one as a matter of fact has to have some sort of attempt of "reconnecting" the human being to a "higher entity" in order to give the fortunate individual another way to enjoy its life experience.

Buddhism is the odd exception that does not attempt to connect with a higher entity, except if you call nirvana a higher entity.

I dont think it was supposed to "bind" humanity together, except by the fact that all those "reconnected" humans would, logically, have the same goals and way of perceiving reality. So it was always about individualy achieving something greater than creating a "community" of sorts.

I don't think religion was meant.

Religions developed. They did however factually serve the purpose of uniting people, rituals bring people together. It's one of the reasons people in the west are so lonely today. We've given up our rituals, and conclusively the things that bring us together. I mean britain actually has it's own mistery that deals only with the acute lonelyness in the population.

And not every religion has a focus on the individual either. This is a western viewpoint, that has seeped so deeply into our bones that we almost cannot see the world in a different light. But many cultures, especially the asian cultures, put much more focus on the family or group. In japan you are basically nobody if you don't state for whom you work too. Being part of something makes you who you are.

IMO, that's human meddling.

I think I agree.

Every religion has that element of making an Individual closer to "something greater" than him, and transforming him in the process.

Agreed, this is present in every big religion.

• tws gay club but no homo

@Div This comment is inspired by my many talks with people of different orientations. The more I talked to them, the more I realised, how much common we have with each other.

LGBT is my religion. In LGBT, gays are the chosen people of God. However, LGBT also accepts the equality of people of all orientations though it stresses that every human should at least try to be gay. Practising LGBT can bring people of all orientations together and its goal is to achieve universal love.

• SEEKERS

@Silhouette
    20200113_045548.jpg
    A good Christian by practice is more dharmic than a hindu just in name. Christ is an epitome of love and compassion from what I read so far, and if you are on the path of christ, then dharma awaits you my friend. ✌

• SEEKERS

@pe7erpark3r
    Currently reading this book to understand the similarities between christianity and dharma, cause after reading most of the book you recommended me(True life in god), I observed that there are indeed many intersection of ideas.
    20200109_180137.jpg

• @Div said in Interfaith Conversations!:

@pe7erpark3r
    Currently reading this book to understand the similarities between christianity and dharma, cause after reading most of the book you recommended me(True life in god), I observed that there are indeed many intersection of ideas.

Yeah, I too found in the Geeta some striking resemblences of what true christian prayer is.

You know that most christians do not know what makes christianity convincing right? Well I do know a few of the reasons... and we can talk about them in detail if you want.

I feel a bit of the convincing power of Hinduism, especially since it has a way of integrating everything. There is something in it for everyone. There is one god, origin of all creation, and there are many gods, there is salvation that gets you into a higher plane of being, a wealthier one, or one where you are closer to the truth. And there is salvation that gets you directly to god. So, especially concerning the fact that one can actually experience the christian god very directly and personally, the fact that Hinduism can simply incorporate such experiences definitely gives it some convincing power.

What I've been rather curious about the last year however is another religion: Islam. I find Islam rather odd, for I have not found anything so far that could have convinced me of its truth. The more I've learned about it, the less convincing it seems. But, I don't really have a good angle on it, I don't think I know islam or the quran well at all. I know a few things, some bad, some good. So I am really curious, for I think there must be something convincing about it – other than my head coming off if I don't believe – since so many people, good and peaceful people, do believe in it... I would really like to hear a believer make a convincing case for islam.

• SEEKERS GSP Patrol - The Proofreaders Soul Searchers Gamers

@Div I second this initiative.

I believe that all faiths and religions are fundamentally similar. Every faith that has ever existed, from organized religions like Christianity and Hinduism to disorganized pagan religions, have a common core, which is to give us mortals a chance to reach divinity through arduous spiritual journeys. In a way, we all seek the same, we merely have different ways and rituals of doing so.

I admire Dharmic faiths, I really do. I admire their ancient roots, their perseverance and their rituals, which reflect spiritual clarity. If I was not a believer in Christ, I would quite possibly be a believer in Dharmic traditions.

I like this quote I found from a Sanskrit epic: "As a man himself sows, so he himself reaps; no man inherits the good or evil act of another man. The fruit is of the same quality as the action." How very true is that.

• So somebody made a per-religion pascal's wager. But like with most of memes about religions, those who make them really do not know what they are talking about. So here is the original:

ZNxIk8Porg.jpg

First I'll have to add a disclaimer. I'm only an expert on catholicism, so I only corrected the first column. However I assume that the other columns, especially the christian and judeism columns need fixing too. I have no idea what Zoroastrianism says about this topic. And I do know that in hinduism everyone can get into heaven. Is there even hell in hinduism?

ZNxIk8P.png

Of course I'll add a little explanation for you. Why are there questionmarks? Because here is what really get's you into heaven if the catholic faith is true:

Accepting Christ's Mercy

What does this mean? There is no way into heaven around Christ, for He is God's only son and our saviour. He pathed the Way into heaven for us and He is that Way.

"One Moment", you'll be thinking, didn't you just add a nice graphic showing that everyone can get into heaven, even if they don't believe in Christ?

Yes. The important part is the word "Accepting". In this life, if you really search for God, He will let you find Him. Without any doubt. Many even find Him without ever having searched, because of His Mercy. And when you meet Him, when you actually get a chance to meet the real Christ (in a spiritual way), then you have a choice: you can either accept Him or reject Him. You will do one of those two, inadvertantly.

However if you do not meet him, if you do not get a real chance to meet the real Christ, but instead hear a lot of falsities about the christian faith, then you have not really rejected Him. You only rejected the false image of God you encountered. Thus, when you die one day, you will get a chance to really meet Him, and then, you can decide.

But even if you meet Him and reject Him, you still have a chance, because we are humans, and we can change our minds. You are on the way to hell, but you always have a chance to convert and return to Him. He will never give you up until your last moment on earth and even up until your final decision, He will never give you up.

And last but not least, here is your surefire way to get into hell while being a "good christian": Simply continue on that way. For it's a lie in and of itself. There are no "good christians". If you are a "good christian" you do not need God's Mercy, and thus you are rejecting it.

• whatever you beleive in and follow as long as it accompanies trust and love for your fellow man, care for Mother Earth and preserving goodness and innocence.........then worship whoever

• SEEKERS

Yet another similarity between dharma and christianity. The concept of shadripu or the deadly sins.

• Maybe I'll need to add one more thing. Sin.

sin = not loving
    loving = not sinning

We all will be judged for our sins (= our lack of love). And we all lack in love. Thus we all need Christ's Mercy.

Also

being in God & God being in you = loving

So love in this sense is not an emotion, it is trust in God and letting Him guide you. Which automatically results in you doing Love's will. Which is equal to "loving".

• SEEKERS

@pe7erpark3r said in Interfaith Conversations!:

First I'll have to add a disclaimer. I'm only an expert on catholicism, so I only corrected the first column. However I assume that the other columns, especially the christian and judeism columns need fixing too. I have no idea what Zoroastrianism says about this topic. And I do know that in hinduism everyone can get into heaven. Is there even hell in hinduism?

This is a great summary!
    Aham brahmasami
    And let me tag the elephant in the room, which shared the given meme in the first place and who should read this beautiful explanation, @TagUjjwal there ya go!

By using TalkWithStranger, you are accepting our privacy and usage terms . You must be 18+ or 13+ with parental permission to use our online chatting site.