• While scrolling in a pond of ideas, an article about 12 year old girl from Netherlands caught my attention. Feel sorry for her, eternal rest grant unto her.

Euthanasia, also called mercy killing, act or practice of painlessly putting to death persons suffering from painful and incurable disease or incapacitating physical disorder or allowing them to die by withholding treatment or withdrawing artificial life-support measures. Because there is no specific provision for it in most legal systems, it is usually regarded as either suicide (if performed by the patient himself) or murder (if performed by another).

(https://www.britannica.com/topic/euthanasia)

So, why do you think we have to legalize it or why not? Want to hear your thoughts.

• @cjko I'm pro, but then I'm pretty much pro most things so long as the decision is fully informed, made without pressure and does not harm others. Whilst it can be argued that being euthanized would cause emotional harm to loved ones you have to weigh that against the continued distress of carrying on living in whatever condition, or the distress of suicide which would presumably occur if the patient was able and be even more upsetting.

• Euthanasia should be an accessible service for all(able bodied or not)

• @Matt_Aranha said in What is your stand about legal euthanasia? :):

@cjko I'm pro, but then I'm pretty much pro most things so long as the decision is fully informed, made without pressure and does not harm others. Whilst it can be argued that being euthanized would cause emotional harm to loved ones you have to weigh that against the continued distress of carrying on living in whatever condition, or the distress of suicide which would presumably occur if the patient was able and be even more upsetting.

Will euthanasia help suicidal people? Or you just cut off their chance of having a new life and perspective?

• @Kawaii-Leonard why do you think it should be like that?

• @cjko I don't think it's our place to decide what is best for them. Sure there is always a possibility of a life of some manner and that will be much more likely if for example the patient has a large family who can regularly interact with them. But if the quality of life will be such that interaction and what most people view as living is no longer possible, the future will now only hold years of loneliness and emotional distress, how cruel a civilisation must we be to deny a patient release from that pain and angst.

No, freedom of choice must come first, we cannot make people prisoners in their own bodies forcing them to live an existence they do not wish for. I will stress what I said above though that the decision should be fully informed; every option should be explored and explained, and the patient must have complete mental capacity when choosing this path.

• @Matt_Aranha are you sure that the patient is fully aware of his/her decisions or just driven by the loneliness/depression s/he is feeling at that moment? Why do other people that survived from suicide had a better perspective now,haad a better life, had a better mindset? Is it because they had given another chance to live and proven wrong of their stupid decisions before or what? Maybe they just need help too, we shouldn't curtail their chance of having a better life or changing their situation by providing them assistance.

• @cjko That is the case with some. I tried to take my own life some years ago. I wasn't depressed, I was very rational and calculated about it. I'm glad I failed, but the decision made sense at the time. I wasn't in a position where I'd be immobile, having extreme chronic pain, living off machines with minimal human interaction for the next forty+ years though. For many patients turning things around is not ever going to be possible and that is why the process perhaps needs to be applied carefully with multiple medical testimony.

If they are suffering from depression then they are not clinically fit to be making that decision.

If they are suffering from loneliness then somebody arguing that they have no right to choose to end their own life needs to demonstrate that is going to significantly change.

If you made a decision about yourself and you could prove that decision was fully-informed without outside influence and what you personally chose to do without harming any other life on the planet, would you be happy for another human or authority to prevent you from executing that decision? Whatever that decision was regarding?

@cjko That is the case with some. I tried to take my own life some years ago. I wasn't depressed, I was very rational and calculated about it.

how can you be so rational for having that decision?

I wasn't in a position where I'd be immobile, having extreme chronic pain, living off machines with minimal human interaction for the next forty+ years though.

true,I am not in anyone's shoes for me to tell this and that, but ending their lives or taking their lives with your own hand is something your conscience will messed with (for me), natural death is still the best option for me if patients are in that kind of situation, by not administering anything that can prolong patient's life

For many patients turning things around is not ever going to be possible and that is why the process perhaps needs to be applied carefully with multiple medical testimony.

I agree. That is why, you should let death goes into their way naturally

If you made a decision about yourself and you could prove that decision was fully-informed without outside influence and what you personally chose to do without harming any other life on the planet, would you be happy for another human or authority to prevent you from executing that decision? Whatever that decision was regarding?

I would be happy if another human from this planet still care in that very moment of my life where I feel like the world turned its back on me

• One subtle effect of legalizing euthanasia is that society will grow more cold: Even if nobody is explicitely pushing people to choose the easy way out, they'll still feel a certain pressure to do it. Here is why:

Because when you lose the ability to do something productive, most of us will soon feel – albeit if it was only every now and then – like a burden to others. Combine this with the fact, that if euthanasia is legal, at least some of the people around you will with absolute certainty bring up the topic with you. And there you have the subtle message: when your life isn't worth living anymore, when you become a burden to us, it is an option to free us and yourself from the burden that you are.

As long as euthanasia is illigal, people know that society – and hopefully the people around them – do not want them to go. Just the fact that we – as in society – and more personally we as the people around you, are against you taking your life, tells you exactly that: You are welcome here. We want you around. We love you. No matter what.

• @pe7erpark3r said in What is your stand about legal euthanasia? :):

One subtle effect of legalizing euthanasia is that society will grow more cold: Even if nobody is explicitely pushing people to choose the easy way out, they'll still feel a certain pressure to do it. Here is why:

Because when you lose the ability to do something productive, most of us will soon feel – albeit if it was only every now and then – like a burden to others. Combine this with the fact, that if euthanasia is legal, at least some of the people around you will with absolute certainty bring up the topic with you. And there you have the subtle message: when your life isn't worth living anymore, when you become a burden to us, it is an option to free us and yourself from the burden that you are.

As long as euthanasia is illigal, people know that society – and hopefully the people around them – do not want them to go. Just the fact that we – as in society – and more personally we as the people around you, are against you taking your life, tells you exactly that: You are welcome here. We want you around. We love you. No matter what.

On point, I couldn't agree more. I like how you think about how will the society turned into something cold or not give the slightest care they have to others. If that thing will be legalize all over the word , then people will take their lives or ought people around to take their lives whenever they feel they can't do it anymore and not even strive to live fully or take another chance. If in case the patient is emotionally and spiritually challenged in some point of his/her life, s/he will easily give up knowing it's okay to take life that way. We can't deny the fact that we humans, wanted to feel we belong, valued and cared of even in a single moment of ourlives; if we failed to achieve those, the negative feelings will butt in and it caused us to decide undesirable decisions in life that will lead to unpleasant consequences, not just for us but for people around us as well.

• @cjko

It was really easy. I felt I had lost everything and the thought of starting again was unbearable. I had an amazing "last day" knowing exactly what I planned to do at the end of it. I went bowling with some friends, hung out at some other friends playing games and watching a film... it was pretty perfect, I was happy and at peace. None of them could see what I hid from them. It was not in any way a cry for help.

true,I am not in anyone's shoes for me to tell this and that, but ending their lives or taking their lives with your own hand is something your conscience will messed with (for me), natural death is still the best option for me if patients are in that kind of situation, by not administering anything that can prolong patient's life

Most of these people suffering are not dying. Many of the ones who are dying would be in even more pain if we took away the medication and/or machines which help prolong life. That is not humane whilst we have the means to respect their wishes painlessly.

I would be happy if another human from this planet still care in that very moment of my life where I feel like the world turned its back on me

What about the people who feel the world has turned their back on them because nobody will respect or care for them enough to carry out their wishes?

@cjko

It was really easy. I felt I had lost everything and the thought of starting again was unbearable. I had an amazing "last day" knowing exactly what I planned to do at the end of it. I went bowling with some friends, hung out at some other friends playing games and watching a film... it was pretty perfect, I was happy and at peace. None of them could see what I hid from them. It was not in any way a cry for help.

until you realized that there is still hope, there is still chance for everything you thought it's never going to happen, right ? Until you realized that there are still great things and awesome people awaits you

Most of these people suffering are not dying. Many of the ones who are dying would be in even more pain if we took away the medication and/or machines which help prolong life. That is not humane whilst we have the means to respect their wishes painlessly.

yeah, they are not dying.. they are just thinking that they couldn't live life anymore due to the extreme depression or loneliness they are feeling in that exact moment of their lives.

Well, atleast you didn't took life with your own hand, by injecting something for them to sleep forever painlessly (IMO), if you can take it or if you can afford to do it, then it's up to your conscience.

What about the people who feel the world has turned their back on them because nobody will respect or care for them enough to carry out their wishes?

I don't think that's the idea of not granting anyone's wishes.If you wish someone to die rn because you're dying, will that someone grant your wish so that you will not feel unrespected and not cared for ?

• @cjko said in What is your stand about legal euthanasia? :):

@Matt_Aranha said in What is your stand about legal euthanasia? :):

@cjko

until you realized that there is still hope, there is still chance for everything you thought it's never going to happen, right ? Until you realized that there are still great things and awesome people awaits you

No, I was really annoyed that I failed. It wasn't a matter of hope, and the subsequent 4 or 5 years were some of the worst of my life. It was however a rebirth. I needed to go through it to learn things about myself, had to have that experience to grow - so whilst I'm glad I failed, if I hadn't sincerely tried I would not have become the person I needed to be. It was enlightening, I'm not proud of it, but it certainly wasn't negative for me.

yeah, they are not dying.. they are just thinking that they couldn't live life anymore due to the extreme depression or loneliness they are feeling in that exact moment of their lives.

So is it never okay? Imagine we have a 20 year old who has no motor control. Internal organs all work fine but they cannot move, cannot speak, but somehow can communicate simple yes/no answers. Now let's assume they are intelligent, informed, not depressed or mentally ill, and there is zero chance of recovery. The patient decides this quality of life is unacceptable, they do not wish to spend the next 50 years a prisoner in their own body being cared for by others. It is not a question of whether they feel loved or cared for, but how they feel they can bear to live. We tell the patient they are wrong, they might change their mind, they might feel better about the situation in the future. Ten years later the patient is now 30 and still feels exactly the same way. We have effectively been torturing them for a third of their life. Do we afford them their dignity at that point, or continue to tell them the decision is not theirs? Make them wait another ten years, twenty, never, even if their feelings never change?

Well, atleast you didn't took life with your own hand, by injecting something for them to sleep forever painlessly (IMO), if you can take it or if you can afford to do it, then it's up to your conscience.

I don't think that's the idea of not granting anyone's wishes.If you wish someone to die rn because you're dying, will that someone grant your wish so that you will not feel unrespected and not cared for ?

Sorry I'm a little confused by the last part... I'm totally on board with compassion and caring though, as a species we need more of that and it should be the first place we look to.

• @cjko it should be a human right to quit this game without any undue suffering

• @cjko said in What is your stand about legal euthanasia? :):

While scrolling in a pond of ideas, an article about 12 year old girl from Netherlands caught my attention. Feel sorry for her, eternal rest grant unto her.

Euthanasia, also called mercy killing, act or practice of painlessly putting to death persons suffering from painful and incurable disease or incapacitating physical disorder or allowing them to die by withholding treatment or withdrawing artificial life-support measures. Because there is no specific provision for it in most legal systems, it is usually regarded as either suicide (if performed by the patient himself) or murder (if performed by another).

(https://www.britannica.com/topic/euthanasia)

So, why do you think we have to legalize it or why not? Want to hear your thoughts.

Well, as I see it, euthanasia has its advantages as disadvantages, so depending on the circumstances, the person who wants to be euthanized will be his decision and no one else's.

• It's the most heartbreaking subject in medicine. Suffering is not allowed. I vote for euthanasia to be used in cases where existence means only suffering.

• I have incredibly mixed feelings on the subject.

I can understand suffering so badly with little or no hope of pain relief that the final out may be a reasonable decision.

But with emotional pain we tend to prevent the individual from harming themselves and instead insist on treatment.

And what of the elderly? Often times they are not terribly suffering when they receive proper care, but they can easily feel tremendous guilt for, in their opinion, placing an undue burdon on their family.

What if the only reason the ill or elderly feels this way is due to constant discouragement from the family members that hope to inherit?

We have a right to life. Do we have a right to death?
    Yes, except for when it's desired due to depression?
    Is not suicide the peak extreme consequence of depression?
    Do we have the right to impose life and death on another counter to how they feel?

What of relegious reasons? Consider, what was it called, Heaven's Gate? Those whom killed themselves in California because they believed that a properly timed death as a comet passed would ensure they would be able to ride the comet's tail to heaven.

What litmus test, if any, is to be applied to those that wish to exercise a death-right? Are they to be burried in sound-mind psychological tests and application paperwork that would instill depression into them if they aren't already depressed?
    If you have a right to

To me the subject Right to Die and where to draw legal lines is as troubling and as much a no-clear-answer as the question of abortion restrictions.