Can anybody justify the 7 deadly sins? I'd like to see you try...

• I personally came to the conclusion that these either lead to self destruction/regret/ or is never fully satisfy-able. - however I wanna see people try to justify them - not just with bible logic:
    IF YOU DO U GO HELL!!!! ETERNAL FLAMES!!!

I guess it metaphorically makes sense but metaphodrs don't make sense if people don't know what its referring to lol

Lust
    Gluttony
    Greed
    Sloth
    Wrath
    Envy
    Pride

• Тhere are actually 9 circles of hell, each for a fobidden sin according to Dante's Inferno:

LIMBO
    LUST
    GLUTTONY
    GREED
    WRATH
    HERESY
    VIOLENCE
    FRAUD
    TREACHERY

And each circle has its own punishment, for example the greedy humans will bathe in molten gold.

• @briankaranja said in Can anybody justify the 7 deadly sins? I'd like to see you try...:

At the beginning all I would like to say is, keep an open mind, and remember that the world is not all unicorns and rainbows.

Here it goes...

Lust

Lust is the desire to experience physical, sensual pleasures (not just those which are séxual). The desire for physical pleasures is considered sinful because it causes us to ignore more important spiritual needs or commandments.

Condemning lust and physical pleasure is part of religion's general effort to promote the afterlife over this life and what it has to offer. It helps lock people into the view that séx and séxuality exist only for procreation, not for love or even just the pleasure of the acts themselves.

Séx is an important aspects of any healthy relationship (excluding the aséxual people here). One of the major reason why most long distance relationships don't last is the lack of touch.

The popularity of lust as a sin can be attested by the fact that more gets written in condemnation of it than for almost any other sin. It's also one of the only Seven Deadly Sins that people continue to regard as sinful.

Lust also acts more deadly for women than men, Donald Trump can say "Grab them by the stuff" or Bill Clinton can have an affair whilst being The President, but nothing happens to them. The moment someone like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez even dances in college all the Alt Right comes out regarding family values and sins and stuff.

Demonizing séx and séxuality keeps people under control of the authorities and then keeps them tied to the religious institutions in their search for happiness.

Let lust take over you, enjoy your life, get a proper relationship, find your own happiness, don't wait for the 72 virgins you will be offered in the heavens!

Have Safe Séx!!!

Gluttony

Gluttony is normally associated with eating too much, but it has a broader connotation that includes trying to consume more of anything than you actually need, food included.

Although consuming less in theory might be appealing, in practice condemning gluttony is a sin has been a good way to encourage those with very little to not want more and to be content with how little they are able to consume, since more would be sinful.

At the same time, though, those who already over-consume have not been encouraged to do with less so that the poor and hungry could have enough.

Greed

Greed is the desire for material gain. It is similar to Gluttony and Envy, but refers to gain rather than consumption or possession.

Condemning greed as a sin keeps people from rebelling again the elite 1% who own 99% of the wealth and keep the rest lingering in poverty, barely surviving and scraping at the bottom of the pile.

alt text

No one tells the rich to stop being greedy, they tell the poor to stop wanting more to stop being greedy.

Greed pushes you to make your life better, greed makes you fight injustice. Greed helps you survive in an unjust world.

Sloth

Sloth is the most misunderstood of the Seven Deadly Sins. Often regarded as mere laziness, it is more accurately translated as apathy. When a person is apathetic, they no longer care about doing their duty to others or to God, causing them to ignore their spiritual well being.

Condemning sloth as a sin functions as a way to keep people active in the church in case they start to realize how useless religion and theism really are.

Religious organizations need people to keep active to support the cause, usually described as "God's plan," because such organizations don't produce anything of value which would otherwise invite any sort of income.

People must thus be encouraged to "volunteer" time and resources on pain of eternal punishment. The greatest threat to religion isn't anti-religious opposition because opposition implies that religion is still important or influential.

The greatest threat to religion is really apathy because people are apathetic about things which just don't matter anymore. When enough people are apathetic about a religion, then that religion has become irrelevant.

P.S: It also applies to sending kids to do unpaid internships instead of letting the kid take a semester off.

Wrath

Wrath is the sin of rejecting the Love and Patience we should feel for others and opting instead for violent or hateful interaction. Condemnation of anger as a sin is thus useful to suppress efforts to correct injustice, especially the injustices of political and religious authorities.

Anger is a pretty good motivator to act against apathy and injustice.

Anger fills you with the necessary to get shit done.

Here's a gif from American Gods where god Anansi tells slaves on a slave ship to get angry at their master and rebel.

alt text

Envy

Envy is a desire to possess what others have, whether material objects (like cars) or character traits, like a positive outlook or patience. Making envy a sin encourages one to be satisfied with what they have rather than object to others unjust power or seek to gain what others have.

Focusing on the feelings of envy and condemning them rather than the injustice causing those feelings allows injustice to continue unchallenged.

Why should we rejoice in someone obtaining power or possessions which they shouldn't have? Why shouldn't we grieve over someone benefiting from injustice?

For some reason, injustice itself is not considered a deadly sin.

So use the envy to fight the wrong, to motivate you to fight the injustice.

Let envy work for you to bring out a better version of yourself.

Pride

According to the Aristotle, a person is proud if he both is and thinks himself to be worthy of great things. If he both is and thinks himself to be worthy of small things, he is not proud but temperate.

On the other hand, if he thinks himself worthy of great things when he is unworthy of them, he is vain; and if he thinks himself worthy of less than he is worthy of, he is pusillanimous.

Vanity and pusillanimity are vices, whereas pride and temperance are virtues because (by definition) they reflect the truth about a person's state and potentials.

It's certainly true that people can be overconfident in their own abilities and that this can lead to tragedy, but it's also true that too little confidence can prevent a person from achieving their full potential. If people won't acknowledge that their achievements are their own, they won't recognize that it is up to them to keep persevering and achieving in the future.

Condemning pride as a sin keeps you exploring yourself, it keeps you bound the definitions society attaches to one and keeps you under control.

In short, be proud of your pride. Cultivate it. Give it a free rein. Let it work for you!

And now that we are done with the sins, come to think of it these so called "sins" were made sins way back in a time of anarchy where questioning the church and the king were heresy.

In today's world a democratic government survives on people questioning it.

Anything in excess can be a sin, while playing outdoor sports is considered good and not a sin, doing so at the cost of your grades, and family is a sin.

The sins defined above are nothing more than elements of control tied around you by the church and the ruling authority..

Break free from the control..

SIN!!

alt text

• @ObviouslyLucifer
    Wisely spoken!
    Religion is a restriction for your life.
    But one shouldn't go overboard with sinning.

• A daily sinner

• Shazdamn! that was good - Never saw these 'principles' to be a self sustaining mechanism intended to keep power to religion! - VERY plausible

however some Qs:
    So it can be justified if required either to survive or to simply live and enjoy life?
    So should sin really be stigmatized?

I'd say these inherent characteristics cause cycles within itself -> a chain reaction fueling one another
    e.g. One's Lust/Greed/Pride(lets just say they're talking of the extremities of pride) -> other's envy -> wrath or just one's sloth leading to other's envy then the person slothing(?) as well

Its visible everywhere -EVEN WITHIN THE CATHOLIC CHURCH SYSTEM -
    Pride of 'authorities' -> allows greed for lust/power -> other's wrath on them + apathy

I think, situationally, we would sin regardless of justice - even 'god' says so - it always makes you feel better.

But I don't think we can justify these 'sinful' actions in the long run as it only causes more - what chaos is.

Ultimately, we can only justify sin if its for one's feeling (the play of empathy in governing bodies)
    Therefore our feelings are more important than justice.

Would that be a reasonable statement?

• The legend has arrived @ObviouslyLucifer
    bow

• Lust
    We all know this is the intense need of pleasure, what we don't know is that there are people who sends their love differently and I don't see anything wrong with trying to get what you want if that's what really makes you happy
    Gluttony
    There is nothing wrong with wanting more I mean if a person tries to get more of what makes his heart race isn't taht a good thing when a person knows what he or she wants and gets it for himself
    Greed
    Putting yourself first isn't a bad thing,loving one's self and showering it with love and care is nit wrong
    Sloth
    What's wrong with taking things slowly I mean if you want perfection into it give it more time and effort, after a progress is still a progress no matter how small
    Wrath
    Or extreme anger, whi doesn't get angry huh? I see nothing wrong with expression of feelings. It's a free country I can say my opinion on how badly you have treated me
    Envy
    Envy can be used to motivate if you want a car like hers then work hard, if you want to be as famous as her then try to be after all if inspires you to get better I don't see anything wrong with that
    Pride
    Pride is simplynot wanting to bither others not because you are boastful but because you know that they already have so much in their plate

Lastly you can't judge things because of other's description into it, everything is based on your mindset about things don't judge things based on what you heard and what others believes it to be,cause a lie is still alie even if everyone believes it

• Any ideas or words could be seen as positive or negative regarding the context and connotation it is placed in.

Example,
    Genocide to the opposing group whom has originally started the first genocide is what?

One may call it justice to eliminate all those involved within the first genocide, it may also be perceived as another genocide itself.

"Moderation is a significant deciding variable".

Instead of the "7 deadly sins"...sigh. so many romanticism these days, going to exemplify the four cardinals virtues of Prudence, Courage, Temperance, and Justice.

Prudence "the ability to govern and discipline oneself by the use of reason."
    Pretty much just foresight, ability to know that planting a beautiful flower could potentially destroy a whole ecosystem, rendering everything extinct.

"Without prudence, bravery becomes foolhardiness; mercy sinks into weakness, free self-expression and kindness into censure, humility into degradation and arrogance, selflessness into corruption, and temperance into fanaticism."

Not going to "try to justify", because the "7 sins" themselves are meant to be seen through a negative light, not a positive filter by justification. Trying to justify such negativity is similar to justifying evil per se, because of the context it was written as. Justifying each of those words in different context is entirely a different conversation.

These "sins" are formatted in manners in which if one chooses these sins over "thy neighbor" well being, then they are "sins".

One could even write a new "sins" list, "Love, Loyalty, Dedication".
    These ideas can be viewed as sins in sense of...
    "You love too much, fanatically, to remain objective to thy neighbors ideas."
    "So much loyalty to your ideals, unable to perceive thy neighbors beliefs."
    "So dedicated to the ideas you are, in which you have forgotten such ideas were formed by mere humans such as yourself, dedicating in the past with no prudence for the future."