• Lately, I bumped into quite many people who claimed to be depressed, saying that they can't change their lives and there is nothing that would make them change the way they sleep, feel, work (to sum it up, the way they exist). For now, let's focus on those who truly suffer from that and not those who do that for attention/the trend, since self depreciation is really popular as far as I've seen. Personally, I can only say that I totally agree to this quote:
    "Man is not fully conditioned and determined but rather determines himself whether he gives in to conditions or stands up to them. In other words, man is ultimately self-determining. Man does not simply exist but always decides what his existence will be, what he will become in the next moment." - Viktor E. Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning.
    With no intentions of trying to sound dull, I find it impossible to believe in depression as being something fixed, which cannot be changed. Why? No matter how hard it is to admit, everyone has one little thing that would bring joy, either socializing, playing certain games, studying - it is up to the individual. Prolonging that one activity and becoming successful (popular, rich, fit, "accepted", whatever that one goal is) will change the perspective of the individual to a better one; or, at least, that is how I feel about it. Under no circumstances I intend to say that it is easy to change your life, but it is possible.
    I would like to see your take on this, so feel free to share your thoughts.

• @Spoofer

Depression is definitely a current state disorder but it's quite the unique one. You know how people say that "time heals everything"? Well It doesn't the only thing that "heals" depression is yourself, so something that is current state can be dragged to long time/permanent status if the individual can't deal with it.
    I'm not the best person to talk about this, as I've been going on and off depression for a while now and I've said things about life that are not pretty, but I can't argue with Viktor E. Frankl reasoning cuz he's absolutely right. Some ppl find the way out easier then others, since some die trying and others take a lifetime!

• @Lurker Getting deep into the topic would bring the endless emotional vs. objective tussle back to life? haha. Thanks for the reply, however there's one more question to be answered to: do you consider that any person who suffers from depression could get over in the most favorable conditions? Because, after all, that's what everyone seek, happiness, but in different forms, right?

• @Spoofer said in Depression, a current state or a long time/permanent disorder?:

do you consider that any person who suffers from depression could get over in the most favorable conditions?

I think so, or so I wanna believe. When I'm at my lowest I try to think to myself like this - you are the only one doing this to yourself, no one but yourself can help you climb out of the hole and in all honesty, friends, family and your significant other can support you but the healing and the "saving" is all your own job, so ultimately everyone can get out of it if they find their way back up!