• Alcohol, games, gambling, meth, booty, there are so many addictive things and so many addicts.
    Some people believe addiction is a disease and that's why it is so hard if not impossible to stop.
    Some people believe addiction is a choice, after all it was the persons choice to consume/do it.
    What do you believe and why?

• Well depends beacuse your never addicted to someting before you try it, so everything you have choosen to intake was your choice persay, but if you where forced to take that wich is now addicting for the first time then no then it's not a choice.

• @alkal33 even if they were forced to and then it is addicting, isn't it still their choice to continue it? They are no longer forced to feed into that addiction, so its a choice to stay addicted?

• @TheGoldenMole no not really beacuse they would still miss that feeling of being on that thing that mad them adicted those still making them an addict, and since there is no point where you can say that feeling has been overcome youll still be an addict

• @TheGoldenMole

As @alkal33 mentioned, it's their choice to try it in the 1st place, but after they get hooked... I'm not as sure anymore.
    I mean... ultimately is always a choice, cuz you can try to fight the addiction and the withdrawals but it's something that goes beyond a choice. It's more like an volatile matter, it can blow up any time or it might never blow up, but there's always this big chance it will...

• @Lurker Well that's similar to someone being fat. It was their choice to eat in the first place but once theyre fat theyre hooked on eating and laziness. That doesn't mean they cant change their diet and start working out. Is being fat a disease or choice? And how does that problem differ from addiction? People seem to have sympathy for addicts and none for the obese.

• @TheGoldenMole said in Addiction.... is this a disease or a choice?:

@Lurker Well that's similar to someone being fat. It was their choice to eat in the first place but once theyre fat theyre hooked on eating and laziness. That doesn't mean they cant change their diet and start working out. Is being fat a disease or choice? And how does that problem differ from addiction? People seem to have sympathy for addicts and none for the obese.

Well, I've been obese once (almost 120kg) and i'm currently 70 ish kg with 40% lean mass and 20% bf so I guess you can beat being obese and fat, while my uncle, which was a drug addict is dead cuz of his addiction... So yeah, I think there are some things that goes a bit over your own desire. It's not that he didn't wanna beat it and be clean, he simply wasn't strong enough I guess :shrug:

• @Lurker So it has to do with will power and not just some kind of chemical disease?

• @TheGoldenMole

I believe a drug addiction is more chemical based (like smoking) while a food addiction is more of a mental thing? I dunno, the only addiction I've had to beat was being fat and by doing that I got addicted to working out so yeah :joy: