• DK.jpg

Chinese strategist Sun Tzu justified deceit in war as a legitimate form of warfare. Considering this, I believe that Sun Tzu would have been proud, at least on the proper use of this concept, of the creators of the malware associated with what some internet security experts call: DOMESTIC KITTEN.

Operation: Domestic Kitten

Check Point researchers revealed to the info-security world the huge targeted attack that has been taking place since 2016--Domestic Kitten Until then, Domestic Kitten had remained under the radar due to the artful deception of its attackers towards their targets. Through the use of mobile applications, those behind the attack use fake decoy content to entice their victims to download such applications, which are in fact loaded with spyware, to then collect sensitive information about them. Interestingly, these targets include Kurdish and Turkish natives and ISIS supporters. Most interesting of all, though, is that all these targets are actually Iranian citizens. They were being targeted by their own government.

What Information is Collected?

Considering the nature of the target, the data collected about these groups provides those behind the campaign with highly valuable information that will no doubt be leveraged in further future action against them. Indeed, the malware collects data including contact lists stored on the victim’s mobile device, phone call records, SMS messages, browser history and bookmarks, geo-location of the victim, photos, surrounding voice recordings and more. In other words: JUST ABOUT EVERY FILE AND INFORMATION IMAGINABLE ON A SMARTPHONE.

Data Collection via Mobile Applications

These apps were all available via the official Google Playstore. Victims are first lured into downloading applications which is believed to be of interest to them. The applications our researchers discovered included an ISIS branded wallpaper changer, “updates” from the ANF Kurdistan news agency and a fake version of the messaging app, Vidogram.

Checkpoint's CP-Radio podcast about Domestic Kitten

• @Cyberdyne Click Baited... I saw Kitten and well TLDR :)

alt text

• @Sassy oh, well. However, it is still a concern for people who think they are safe downloading social networking apps, even if they are on official app markets.

• @Cyberdyne Yeah Yeah I get it. Have you watched A Social Dilemma on Netflix?

• @Sassy No, but I will check it out, thanks

• @Cyberdyne said in Operation: Domestic Kitten:

@Sassy No, but I will check it out, thanks

ya ... you really should. was recommended to me. The Social Dilemma. Not A Social Dilemma. Was pretty enlightening
    "Tech experts sound the alarm on the dangerous human impact of social networking."

• @Sassy Is it The Social Dilemma?

• @Cyberdyne said in Operation: Domestic Kitten:

@Sassy Is it The Social Dilemma?

yeah

• @Cyberdyne Would love to hear what you thought of it. If you watch it

• send memes

• @Sassy 😂 I love that cat! Lol

• @kevinschepis said in Operation: Domestic Kitten:

@Sassy 😂 I love that cat! Lol

me too lmao