Why I think democracy is the best of all the horrible systems to govern a state...

• The point that gets me the most is the idea of a leader that sucks.

Monarchy: He has rightfully inherited the throne. The country belongs to him. Period.
    Dictatorship: Mhhmhmmhmmmm (muffled speech before being to a prison)
    Communism: Yay another day in a concentration camp. Communist concentration camps can be worse than those of the Nazis...
    Aristocracy: Well here you have a group, that might switch out a bad leader. But if the whole group sucks, then well they have rightfully inherited the throne. The country belongs to them. Period.

The only way to change leadership in non-democracy is revolution... It sucks to need a revolution every ten years, just to replace a government that has grown blind. (Hint: all governments grow blind...)

The next point is separation of powers. In any non-democracy the guys that rule the state also make the laws. In other words, they are not bound by those laws, they can just change them, albeit slowly... In a democracy, at least a real one, that's not the case. There tend to be even three instances: executive, judicative and legislative. People are not allowed to belong to more than one of those. E.g. the judges are (theoretically) able to judge those that run the country for doing evil.

Now of course I know, that democracy can be bought and controlled. You just need to corrupt enough people and there you go, you rule the system behind the curtains and the whole state becomes just a show. True. Russia is a great example of a democracy that is for show.

But. You can do that even easier with any other system. You can just buy the queen/dictator/aristocrats, it's just not that many people... Just study a bit of history, and you'll know...

I personally think the hard brexit is not the smartest idea. But it is also certainly not what big money wants. So Johnson's win is at least definitely a win for democracy. The people's will is being executed.

So what is to do? Tear democracy down? If you want hell back, yeah... No, instead we need to strengthen it, or maybe recreate it, and cut those dang threads by which the powerful rule. I mean take america for example. Every presidential candidate runs through all the states and collects money from the rich people to run his campaign. And thus they have to introduce those people's values into their political agenda. They couldn't do it without that money. Trump could, he just said "fuck you" to the guys who didn't agree with him. He had enough money. He too is a victory for democracy, wether you like it or not. It's just sad that such a victory requires one to be a millionaire...

What do you guys think?

• @pe7erpark3r
    I think democracy is great. When citizens are aware of democracy very well. And know mean purpose of each election and don't blindly vote any political party

• @pe7erpark3r
    i agree, democracy is not exactly ideal but it's the best system of governance that humans have developed :D because our modern societies are made up of thousands of competing/conflicting interest groups that want to have their voices heard & democracies allow for that to happen.

now, to be fair, totalitarian governments may be more efficient in pursuing short-term goals, but no one actually wants to live in a dictatorship (or at least i hope so!)

• @sarah_the_magpie said in Why I think democracy is the best of all the horrible systems to govern a state...:

now, to be fair, totalitarian governments may be more efficient in pursuing short-term goals, but no one actually wants to live in a dictatorship (or at least i hope so!)

People are tempted to want to live in that. For example someone might realize that the government is completely unaware of a real danger for the country, while the military leaders see it is clearly as night and day. Of course this situation is not just some stupid example, it's actually real, and will be real. So they might be tempted to think, that a country led by those who see what's important is better.

But ofc that's short sighted, for those people will be blind to the next problem. And also, they do not realize, that a dictatorship will be hell, for it does not allow any opposition, not even the one in your own living room...