Do you think life would be better if we didn't feel emotions?

• So yeah.
    Do you think life would be easier if we didn't feel anything?
    !!
    There would only be our morals guiding us and no emotional influence on our actions. No HEARTBREAKS, no HATRED, you can have séx with who you want, no commitment, no self esteem issues. Basically all would be peaceful imo.
    If you're a romantic, just think you won't miss the feeling of being in love (isn't that a big headache anyways?) And obviously you can still stay with the ones you "loved". But this time because you like their company, and not because of biased feelings.
    I picture this as a pretty world. Tell me how am i wrong.
    Personally, I'd rather i didn't have emotions. Life would be sooo much easier then. Friends will remain ofc. What more does one need?

• Music Lovers

@Kana
    Feelings is what makes us humans!
    Morals, are created to cater human emotions and feelings. That's why calling racial slurs, bullying, raping, etc are immoral because it makes the victim feel bad.

No HEARTBREAKS, no HATRED, you can have séx with who you want, no commitment, no self esteem issues.
    SOUNDS GREAT! But at what cost?
    Is it worth losing compassion and care? Is it worth losing empathy?

Life without feelings would be a monotonous one
    Our feelings is what helps us to see things multidimensionally. Life without feelings will be simple binary, either YES or NO, no reasoning. Everything will be absolute, so no opinions to be respected!
    If a life of dormancy is what one finds a peaceful, then be my guest, snap your finger, and eliminate feelings!

• Global Moderator

@Kana i think you pose an interesting question.
    But for me, it would be boring. (I know if that is how it was, we wouldn’t realise that it was boring due we would accept it) but the things you mention are the things that define us as people. Its these experiences that mould us into the people that we are. And its these things that create this roller coaster ride we call life.
    So, good times or bad.... heartache and pain... the suffering of loss...
    Im happy to keep them, since i would not be me without them

• @IM-NOT-HORÑY-Ɛ3 said in Do you think life would be better if we didn't feel emotions?:

@Kana
    Feelings is what makes us humans!
    Morals, are created to cater human emotions and feelings. That's why calling racial slurs, bullying, raping, etc are immoral because it makes the victim feel bad.

But if we didn't have emotions, we wouldn't do those bad things in the first place.
    By morals i mean knowing what's right and wrong, not from a person's-feeling point of view, but thinking what is beneficial for everyone's survival.

No HEARTBREAKS, no HATRED, you can have séx with who you want, no commitment, no self esteem issues.
    SOUNDS GREAT! But at what cost?
    Is it worth losing compassion and care? Is it worth losing empathy?

Tell me how we'll miss all that?

Life without feelings would be a monotonous one
    Our feelings is what helps us to see things multidimensionally. Life without feelings will be simple binary, either YES or NO, no reasoning.

Nope. It would be yes or no after reasoning. As opposed to having emotional influence in judgement as we do now.

Everything will be absolute, so no opinions to be respected!

Isn't that the way things should be? Only the absolute considered, not people's personal opinions twisted by their emotions.

If a life of dormancy is what one finds a peaceful, then be my guest, snap your finger, and eliminate feelings!

a) i can't
    b) i am not sure yet so i ask you guys xD

• Gamers

@Kana Without feelings there is no point being alive as we would all be like robots.
    It is the emotions that give us hope to achieve something in life and that which caters our sense of happiness.So without feelings life will be dull.On the other hand,giving too much importance to your feelings gives rise to extreme optimism and extreme pessimism which leads to superiority complexes and inferiority complexes respectively due to which jealousy and depression takes place.Besides having too much emotions stimulates extreme sexual urges which may restrict our mind to think rationally.Therefore, a person can never be successful in life if e is too emotional.So we should give our brain and heart equal importance i.e able to keep a check on our emotions.

• @Kana That would be boring. I like being able to feel happiness and laughter. It sucks to feel pain too but at least it's something. Joy or sadness, I think it is better than not feeling anything at all.

• @Roney1718 said in Do you think life would be better if we didn't feel emotions?:

@Kana Without feelings there is no point being alive as we would all be like robots.

What's wrong with that? 🤔

It is the emotions that give us hope to achieve something in life and that which caters our sense of happiness.

Is it not possible to have an aim without hope?

For the rest i tootally agree! Tysm for sharing 😃

• @Durwin
    I get your point 😮 ty
    Also, i won't mind my ideology defining me rather than emotional experiences.

• @Roney1718
    How i imagine it would work is, someone realizes that they have an iq for something that they can do and they know they can do well in it. So they work in that field without any hurdle like laziness or other emotional barriers (like @Durwin pointed out)
    So we get the best in each field and every person works to their full capabilities.

Btw i just realized a shortcoming of that world. There would be no art in any form. No music, literature, paintings, poems, or even people's personal tastes in designs and stuff. And i like pretty things lol.
    Maybe we'll have to keep the artistic sense in ourselves 🤔 otherwise it sounds okay to me.

• Another note: through meditation you can change your experience. This basically means when a feeling pops up you don't have to keep feeling angry, you don't have to keep feeling hatred, you don't have to continue feeling down.

Other emotions are actually useful: self esteem issues for example tell you, that there is something you should address or change about yourself. Maybe what needs changing is just your experience, but maybe you are actually lacking (which is much more probable since we always lack in all kinds of ways) some ability you should have. You know what I mean?

It's not all bad. Or else evolution would not have made it emerge...

• @Kana life is so beautiful because we all got feelings. Imagine a world without feelings, just flesh standing around

• @Kana I don't want to live like a bot. If i have no feelings how can i have s_x? It's a feeling. I choose to have HEARTBREAKS,  HATRED aside love and happiness. Without feelings we are bots,Even animals have feelings. Every taste should be tasted in our life otherwise life will be insipid. i choose to have all in my life.

• Music Lovers

@pe7erpark3r said in Do you think life would be better if we didn't feel emotions?:

@niks-niks said in Do you think life would be better if we didn't feel emotions?:

@Kana I don't want to live like a bot. If i have no feelings how can i have s_x? It's a feeling. I choose to have HEARTBREAKS,  HATRED aside love and happiness. Without feelings we are bots,Even animals have feelings. Every taste should be tasted in our life otherwise life will be insipid. i choose to have all in my life.

Do animals have the same feelings as we do, or do we have "special" feelings that they don't. Like does an animal feel desparation or will it simply continue fighting as if it had hope, that it might make it?

And it also seems that we are the only beings that have discovered the future and with it the definite threat of being limited. E.g. we know that we will end! That's a kind of suffering, that animals prolly never know...

Animals have feelings that for sure. That's why we love them!! They also do have their own personality. Actually they do show more feelings/emotions than us. Well, we are smarter than animals so we have our own views about life. I think they are not capable of that but they know for sure that they need to survive too. And animals don't want to suffer that's why they also get afraid and depressed too.

• @pe7erpark3r said in Do you think life would be better if we didn't feel emotions?:

@niks-niks said in Do you think life would be better if we didn't feel emotions?:

@Kana I don't want to live like a bot. If i have no feelings how can i have s_x? It's a feeling. I choose to have HEARTBREAKS,  HATRED aside love and happiness. Without feelings we are bots,Even animals have feelings. Every taste should be tasted in our life otherwise life will be insipid. i choose to have all in my life.

Do animals have the same feelings as we do, or do we have "special" feelings that they don't. Like does an animal feel desparation or will it simply continue fighting as if it had hope, that it might make it?

And it also seems that we are the only beings that have discovered the future and with it the definite threat of being limited. E.g. we know that we will end! That's a kind of suffering, that animals prolly never know...

Animals have feelings and instinct just like all humans have. They do not reason, they do not have the power to choose but they definitely feel. Basically, we are social animals, not animals, thats why we know what is right n what is wrong.

• Global Moderator

@Kana I do understand why you would like to have it that way, I mean .... it would be so so much easier to get on if you didnt have the external elements of the personal life going on while you wroked or studied.... And the whole free love thing would be pretty interesting to 🙂

• @Durwin said in Do you think life would be better if we didn't feel emotions?:

@Kana I do understand why you would like to have it that way, I mean .... it would be so so much easier to get on if you didnt have the external elements of the personal life going on while you wroked or studied....

That+people's expectations of an emotional response which i am sometimes incapable of.

• This is my short answer, but I'll go into detail later if you want.

So: yes it would be easier, because we would not feel heaviness.

But: You would not "like their company" you'd just not care.

That's the problem with it. When I'll go deeper it'll be about consciousness: consciousness is the place of meaning and we feel meaning, we feel what is important to us, our values. So life looses meaning without emotions, it looses value.

• So here's my answer...

@Kana said in Do you think life would be better if we didn't feel emotions?:

Do you think life would be easier if we didn't feel anything?

Oh boy yes it would but is easier always better? I don't think so.

There would only be our morals guiding us and no emotional influence on our actions. No HEARTBREAKS, no HATRED, you can have séx with who you want, no commitment, no self esteem issues. Basically all would be peaceful imo.

That sounds amazing, in theory... But I mean... If you didn't feel at all we would just be doing what we do good aimlessly and at the end of the day it will be just a reboot and start over. That's exacly what I dread the most about life at some points so don't mix peace with hollow/void cuz your senses would be impaired and you'll just kinda be numb all the time. So what would be the point of having séx, be engaged, help others, be helped, work, live? I really can't see the point of it 🤷

If you're a romantic, just think you won't miss the feeling of being in love (isn't that a big headache anyways?) And obviously you can still stay with the ones you "loved". But this time because you like their company, and not because of biased feelings.
    I picture this as a pretty world. Tell me how am i wrong.

Yes, love is a real headache and can bring so much pain and sorrow but it's just part of life. And no, you won't spend time with them cuz you "like" their company and "liking" is a feeling and you would be numb and not feel anything. That would lead to isolation of humanity eventually and we would only see each other when we went out to work / shop.

Personally, I'd rather i didn't have emotions. Life would be sooo much easier then. Friends will remain ofc. What more does one need?

Personally, I'd rather be able to control my emotions better so I could have the best of both worlds!

• Music Lovers

No. That's so empty. Empty life, boring, no motivation and such. Would you want your parents don't care about you? That sucks if they don't care at all. And it would be so selfish if a person don't care too. Wouldn't mind what other people's feeling. Wouldn't care about the world at all.

• @niks-niks said in Do you think life would be better if we didn't feel emotions?:

Suggested Topics

View More Recent Topics

By using TalkWithStranger, you are accepting our privacy and usage terms . You must be 18+ or 13+ with parental permission to use our online chatting site.