Funny isn't it? You wouldn't talk to a random stranger in the street, so why do we do it on the internet?

• You wouldn't talk to a random stranger in the street, so why do we do it on the internet? What's your game, man?

0_1546184451358_doggod.jpg

• I like this topic. My answer is simple.

I would love to be able to just easily talk to a random stranger in the street. Actually I have tried that and if I was in the right state of mind – if my inner game was right to use your metaphor – it actually did work alright.

On the internet it is just a lot easier, because you are not communicating everything that is going on inside you. For those who don't know we are constantly transmitting an immense amount of information through our body and our voice. Way more bandwidth than the internet ever had or that words would allow. Thus you chose what you want to communicate by just picking the right words and taking your time. Now this sounds like the internet version is less honest, but that does not have to be true at all. It might easily be the other way round, that through taking your time and not letting every spontaneous (negative) emotion show you are actually being more honest about what you really think.

And on the internet you can pull out of conversations if you don't feel well without people getting upset. It's just part of the nature of the medium, that people go off and on all the time. It's normal that you answer messages when the time is right. Everybody does that. Why wouldn't they? Most have a life aside from the internet.

And at least on sites like TWS you get to talk to people you would not even meet on the street, like ever – world's big...

But the internet is no replacement for real human interaction. Connections should if logistically possible transcend the hyper text transfer protocol.

• @Indrid-Cold I can't get raped over the internet😂

• @Lurker said in Funny isn't it? You wouldn't talk to a random stranger in the street, so why do we do it on the internet?:

@Indrid-Cold

Interesting topic! In my case, I am an introvert potato that has a hard time making friends and that's exacly why I'm kinda like practicing my social skills in here. After all some ppl see a chick at the gym or at a party and walk up to them easily and strike a conversation with them, I wouldn't ever be able to do that 😂

Some people yeah, but actually very few. However I believe that being able to do just that – and not just girls either, anybody you find interesting – is an immense freedom which actually can be acquired.

An interesting question for many might be: "are you an actual introvert – or did something make you act like one?"

• @pe7erpark3r said in Funny isn't it? You wouldn't talk to a random stranger in the street, so why do we do it on the internet?:

Some people yeah, but actually very few. However I believe that being able to do just that – and not just girls either, anybody you find interesting – is an immense freedom which actually can be acquired.

Actually, I've had the experience that some guys are easier to approach, simply because society made it seem like guys that hit up girls can't just want friendship, same goes the other way around and sometimes you purely wanna get to know the other person! 🤷

@pe7erpark3r said in Funny isn't it? You wouldn't talk to a random stranger in the street, so why do we do it on the internet?:

An interesting question for many might be: "are you an actual introvert – or did something make you act like one?"

I believe everyone can overcome introvertion if they really want. It's called confort zone and most of us prefer to stay in it, but for most introverts, we choose to stay by ourselves cuz that's how we feel better! In my case it's a mixture, I mostly prefer to be alone but sometimes I feel too lonely but don't wanna get off my confort zone 😂

• Soul Searchers Movie Buff Global Moderator

@Zen00 is that a challenge? 😏

Anyways, well I like the fact that on here there are hundreds of peeps to strike up a conversation with. Topics and public chat allows you to have a taste of their personality and all, then you can further deepen the conversation in PM.
    When starting a conversation with a random stranger you have no idea what they’re like and if you’ll get along 🤷♀️ Aldo if it doesn’t work out on the internet, it’s much easier to bail 😅

There’s also the fact that I’m freedom of speech’s n°1 fan. You can say whatever the fûck you want and be as offensive as you fancy and makes it easier to jump into certain conversations that would take a while to be confortable for irl. Also irl, people might run away if you did 😂

• @Indrid-Cold

Interesting topic! In my case, I am an introvert potato that has a hard time making friends and that's exacly why I'm kinda like practicing my social skills in here. After all some ppl see a chick at the gym or at a party and walk up to them easily and strike a conversation with them, I wouldn't ever be able to do that 😂

• @Lurker said in Funny isn't it? You wouldn't talk to a random stranger in the street, so why do we do it on the internet?:

Actually, I've had the experience that some guys are easier to approach, simply because society made it seem like guys that hit up girls can't just want friendship, same goes the other way around and sometimes you purely wanna get to know the other person! 🤷

Well yeah it's in the dynamics. Women get approached in stupid ways all the time, thus the shields go up. Also they are in danger of getting raped, as @Zen00 pointed out. It's quite challenging to get around those...

I believe everyone can overcome introvertion if they really want. It's called confort zone and most of us prefer to stay in it, but for most introverts, we choose to stay by ourselves cuz that's how we feel better! In my case it's a mixture, I mostly prefer to be alone but sometimes I feel too lonely but don't wanna get off my confort zone 😂

Tbh I don't know myself too well yet. I have a strong suspicion that I'm actually an extravert (maybe not 100% though), cause I sure was in first grade. Then things happened. So, I can't really be sure... Yeah the comfort zone. I've got to write a topic about that

• @pe7erpark3r said in Funny isn't it? You wouldn't talk to a random stranger in the street, so why do we do it on the internet?:

For those who don't know we are constantly transmitting an immense amount of information through our body and our voice. Way more bandwidth than the internet ever had or that words would allow.

///park3r, from your reply, I'm getting the vibe of that CS Lewis quote, 'If we could see people as they really are, we'd fall on our knees and worship them as gods' (I'm paraphrasing). Probably one of the only things I've ever disagreed with him on -- as punishment, I ignored Aslan for a week.

• @pe7erpark3r completely agree with you. I generally do talk to random strangers. it could be someone standing in the queue with me or someone travelling in the same train. its a nice way to forge friendship for a little while and have fond memories about it with you forever. On the net its obviously easier and maybe you can have embarrassing conversations with any nut job you like. however when you're face to face, it's so much better. Sure, you might need to gather up a little courage but then once you strike it off, it might just turn out to be amazing and you yourself would feel more safe and comfortable in your own skin.

• @onism said in Funny isn't it? You wouldn't talk to a random stranger in the street, so why do we do it on the internet?:

@pe7erpark3r completely agree with you. I generally do talk to random strangers. it could be someone standing in the queue with me or someone travelling in the same train. its a nice way to forge friendship for a little while and have fond memories about it with you forever. On the net its obviously easier and maybe you can have embarrassing conversations with any nut job you like. however when you're face to face, it's so much better. Sure, you might need to gather up a little courage but then once you strike it off, it might just turn out to be amazing and you yourself would feel more safe and comfortable in your own skin.

This is very very true. On the few occasions where I actually gathered up the courage to talk to someone on a train or at the station for example it really turned out to be quite interesting conversations.

• Global Moderator

@Indrid-Cold TBH, I have always been someone that is happy to speak to strangers in the street.
    I was brought up with "Stranger Danger" but it never stopped me from chatting. Right from a young age I was making connections, getting on with people, seeing the good inside of everyone I met until such times that they proved me otherwise.
    I have often found that this has lead to some of the greatest friendships I have had the pleasure of being part of.
    stranger danger

• Gamers

I like it for the freedom of expression in a world of pre-set ideas of life what u should do what you shouldnt what you should belive or not its an outlet for that relaxed time when the subconcous
    And awake mind can meet in the middle and say what they truly feel i like that you know i have not owned a tv in 20yrs and rarley see my self watching much at any time so i have no pre-set notions of people and discover who they are in just a few words with out any influence other then what they tell me

• @Zen00 said in Funny isn't it? You wouldn't talk to a random stranger in the street, so why do we do it on the internet?:

@Indrid-Cold I can't get raped over the internet😂

Woah is that how strangers are up in there? 😂

• @Lurker SoMeTiMeS

• @WtfGod said in Funny isn't it? You wouldn't talk to a random stranger in the street, so why do we do it on the internet?:

Topics and public chat allows you to have a taste of their personality and all, then you can further deepen the conversation in PM.

Yeah, I'm quite curious what people like to do more, PMs, public chat, topics and how they get to know each other. I'd need more followers though to attract attention to such a topic. How about following me 😉 Nah, jk, but it would be cool if someone with a lot of followers posed that question...

There’s also the fact that I’m freedom of speech’s n°1 fan. You can say whatever the fûck you want and be as offensive as you fancy and makes it easier to jump into certain conversations that would take a while to be confortable for irl. Also irl, people might run away if you did 😂

That's a really good point. I should try to be more offensive 😈 😂

• @onism said in Funny isn't it? You wouldn't talk to a random stranger in the street, so why do we do it on the internet?:

@pe7erpark3r ayyy.... Care to share a few bits of these interesting conversations?😁

Well I talked to this legally blind woman and she explained to me all sorts of things. That for example she could still somewhat see green things, like trees, but nothing else. And her troubles learning braille and that there are actually two versions of it. The stenograhpic like one is the one most usefull. And a bunch of other things.

@onism said in Funny isn't it? You wouldn't talk to a random stranger in the street, so why do we do it on the internet?:

@pe7erpark3r doesn't everyone behave the way do because of somethings that have happened. It doesn't need to be a major event, it could be the littlest of things. And I think categorising someone as an actual introvert or a turned introvert doesn't really make sense.

I believe there is one distinction. Real extraverts just need to talk to people. If they don't talk a lot they become really unhappy. Real introverts on the other hand can be perfectly happy without having much conversation (thinking of hermits who left society after having had a very hectic and extravert normal life).

• @Alte said in Funny isn't it? You wouldn't talk to a random stranger in the street, so why do we do it on the internet?:

@pe7erpark3r "simple" answer. Longer than my radio post lmao.

It was still simple in my head when I started writing 😅

Suggested Topics

View More Recent Topics

By using TalkWithStranger, you are accepting our privacy and usage terms . You must be 18+ or 13+ with parental permission to use our online chatting site.