• The Death Penalty

A: An act of 'controlled violence'

or

B: An act of mercy to the families of those that have lost loved one's.

I have my opinion, but I live in a country that abolished the death penalty almost 50 years ago.

Whats your's???

• Banned

@shaun-durwin Thats a tough one

• Freedom Writers

@shaun-durwin I guess by giving a death penalty, the government is doing good to the person found guilty.... I mean, he's given freedom from his body, and he doesn't have to suffer anymore.
    Plus, taking a life never serves justice to anyone; it just gets rid of a person who would never change for good (I mean, the greater good)
    Peace out!

• Banned

I believe we have no right to take anyone´s life. Capital punishment isn't based on an ideal of righteousness, but on revenge. Respond to violence with violence, what good is it? It will not calm the pain of the people affected by the crime, nor will it quench their thirst for revenge, because the desire for revenge never dies, it simply equates us with the guilty, we commit their very crimes, with the difference that we are covered by the law, and even so, we believe ourselves morally superior to them.

• @kakashi i agree, putting the guilty to death is like freeing them. I'd want them to be punished with life imprisonment.

• tough choice

• @wildwallflower no wild, i didnt mean that.... i want them to be freed, and death frees them permanently... so that no one shall suffer in either person's hands anymore

• @kakashi said in What do you think of this???:

@shaun-durwin I guess by giving a death penalty, the government is doing good to the person found guilty.... I mean, he's given freedom from his body, and he doesn't have to suffer anymore.
    Plus, taking a life never serves justice to anyone; it just gets rid of a person who would never change for good (I mean, the greater good)
    Peace out!

:thinking_face: that's an interesting point of view.
    Not so sure I would agree with the guilty party being given freedom from them-self though.

• @darkice @Sofa_king_great Indeed it is a very tough one. On one hand you have the fact that the guilty must (99% of the time) of committed a hanas crime in order to get that judgement. And on the other hand you have to think, "Do we still consider an eye for an eye an acceptable policy for the modern world?

• @athena said in What do you think of this???:

I believe we have no right to take anyone´s life. Capital punishment isn't based on an ideal of righteousness, but on revenge. Respond to violence with violence, what good is it? It will not calm the pain of the people affected by the crime, nor will it quench their thirst for revenge, because the desire for revenge never dies, it simply equates us with the guilty, we commit their very crimes, with the difference that we are covered by the law, and even so, we believe ourselves morally superior to them.

I kind of feel the same as you and @wildwallflower . When it comes to it if you do something wrong you run the risk of paying the consequences. Even young children are made aware of this from the earliest of times.
    For the families hurt (and often torn apart) by such crimes that qualify for the death penalty I can understand the need and desire for revenge, but the fact remains (as @Kakashi mentioned, sort of) that if you take that revenge, that line atonement then the guilty may be losing their life.... but they are also becoming free of the crimes they committed. The families concerned may think, "well that person got what he/she deserved", but I would think it's far more appeasing to know that the guilty will be confined to a 15'x15' cell for the rest of thier lives.

• @shaun-durwin i thought i was thinking of being merciful to both the sides....

• @kakashi lol but what's the point if guilty is set free?

• @wildwallflower and what point are ya tryna make? You want em to suffer? Still, if that person is killed, atleast the food he eats would go to someone else....

• @kakashi i just dont get it, if someone's guilty of a crime they should be set free? Wtf!