• People say there emo and some say there not but how do you know when you are emo? What does being emo mean to you?

Different stages of being emo.

• @emoprincess

"A terribly misconstrued and misused word. In contemporary culture it is utilized as a broad term to describe a multitude of children and teenagers who straighten their hair, have their hair in their face, perhaps dye it black, and wear tight clothing. Unfortunately this is completely inaccurate. Actual "emo" music existed in the late 80's and was a subgenre of hardcore punk rock, after all, "emo" is a shortening of "Emotional hardcore punk rock". The people in early emo bands dressed like regular people, everyday guys/girls who just played music that they enjoyed. Sadly, since the formulation and ongoing existence of Hot Topic, the term emo has been incorrectly characterized for a little more than a decade. You have to wonder how the original bands feel about the slandering and mass misunderstanding and misuse of their originality with those of the unoriginal."

This is according to Urban Dictionary, which has the best definition IMO. Take it with a grain of salt but this is what I also think about the "emo" trend. I do like the "emo" style tho, find it cute :p

• @mr-h Nice reply :) Although being emo does have deeper roots then the generalization.

• @naveen067 Nice contribution

• @EmoPrincess

Thanks! ^^

@emoprincess said in What is EMO? What does EMO mean to YOU?:

Although being emo does have deeper roots then the generalization.

What are those roots in your case? Wanna share them?

• @mr-h Sometimes the scars are deeper but also it's a coping mechanism to escape reality.

• @emoprincess Some people choose to be emo because they enjoy the lifestyle and culture, the music etc. For others it resonates deeper inside.

• @emoprincess said in What is EMO? What does EMO mean to YOU?:

Some people choose to be emo because they enjoy the lifestyle and culture, the music etc.

I can totally understand that. Somo people are "emo" and don't even know the origin of the broad term. There's also a very big taboo regarding emos and what they are known from doing to themselves.

@emoprincess said in What is EMO? What does EMO mean to YOU?:

@mr-h Sometimes the scars are deeper but also it's a coping mechanism to escape reality.

I've had phases in my life that lead me to those routes and i'm not proud of it but I never really called myself an emo, but it's as you say a coping mechanism, not the best one as it's extremelly addicting but the one we find at that time.

• @emoprincess

Definition of EMO

Contrary to popular belief, "emo" is not short for "emotional"
    and it doesn't necessarily imply that someone is sensitive,
    shy, or introverted, even though the term has morphed 
    and is now used in this way.

Rather the term "emo" originated from a style of 
    rock music characterized by melodic musicianship and expressive, 
    confessional lyrics. It originated in the mid-1980s
    hardcore punk movement of Washington, D.C., 
    where it was known as "emotional hardcore" or "emocore".

How do you identify "EMO" people?

Generally emo is tied to both music and fashion as well as the emo subculture,
    which is stereotyped as tight jeans on males and females alike,
    long bangs brushed to one side of the face or over one or both eyes,
    dyed black, straight hair, tight short-sleeved t-shirts with
    names of emo bands on them, studded belts, belt buckles, 
    canvas sneakers, skate shoes, or other black shoes, 
    and in some cases thick, black horn-rimmed glasses.

You often see this term online and as the style spread to younger teenagers,
    it became associated with depression, self-injury, and suicide. 
    Some millennials describe "being emo" like "being a goth" 
    only much less dark and much more Harry Potter with
    the differences being emos hate themselves 
    whereas goths hate everyone; emos want to kill 
    themselves whereas goths want to kill everyone.

• @emoprincess dark, shady and mysterious
    with a hint of not giving a shite on the side