• Let's discuss more philosophy! :v

• I have now replied to this topic.

• @sumof1 too late

• Patriotism is a modern version of tribal living ancestor's trust to the tribe. Since country provides us the same security, patriotism is rational.

• My opinion is Nationalism is irrational not Patriotism.

Patriotism and Nationalism are interchangeable words mainly used by politicians for their personal gains, but they don't mean the same.

“The difference between patriotism and nationalism is that the patriot is proud of his country for what it does , and the nationalist is proud of his country no matter what it does ; the first attitude creates a feeling of responsibility while the second a feeling of blind arrogance that leads to a war .”

Nationalism stresses unity based on a cultural background, including language and heritage. Patriotism, rooted in the love for a nation, emphasizes values and beliefs.

Nationalism, which easily lends itself as a tool to rally people or rouse the rabble, has got enmeshed with ideologies like communism and fascism.

Patriotism is about protecting the land we live.

Nationalism is about protecting the way we live, its about protecting our culture.

Now, that is a slippery slope. You cannot define what is included in your culture and that can quite easily lead into a superiority complex and wars. Nationalists do fight a lot of wars.

For TLDR:

Patriot: Expresses the emotion of love towards his country in a passive way

Nationalist: Strives for independence and the interests and domination of a nation and expresses his love or concern for the country in an active political way.

• Music Lovers

No, because some people are very loyal to their country.

• @ᑕᖇiᗰᔕ-ᑎ Patriotism in my perspective can be a blessing & a curse. Myself I am quite patriotic, for the United States. But some force themselves into cognitive dissonance in blind love for their country which can have dangerous repercussions, for example Nazi Germany, Soviet Union, Communist China & in many ways the current Trump presidency has fueled this false reality. They are in a sense brainwashed into blind loyalty & not seeing how they are eroding the values that the United States was founded upon. But like I said, I am patriotic in the sense that I make sure to be an informed citizen & leave this place better than it was before me.