[Re] let's talk

• This is the last speach of Christopher Hitchens before he died from cancer and a life of unhealthy habbits in 2011 .

What are your thoughts on this speach? Do you view yourself as secularist? What do you think about the life of Christopher Hitchens?

Do you disagree with him on anything, if yes then why? We can have a little debate

P.S. if you have the time I challenge you to add a little story, quote or perspective relevant to the topic in your commentsstrikethrough text

• @alwaysstranger me too.

• @sir-devil thank goodness* i like how this ended (:

• @alwaysstranger wew, thank "god". I was afraid we were going to do this again.

Anyway, it was great and sorry, if I insulted you

• @sir-devil this was a great debate and conversation. I think we both learned a lot. Sorry for the bit of heat in the middle of the debate

• @alwaysstranger okay...

• @sir-devil said in [Re] let's talk:

@alwaysstranger and I am not convinced enough to accept that religion should be completely abolished. We both are not satisfied.

Let us end this, with this.

Goodbye. I would be going offline now.

Wait

• @alwaysstranger would do it.

• @alwaysstranger and I am not convinced enough to accept that religion should be completely abolished. We both are not satisfied.

Let us end this, with this.

Goodbye. I would be going offline now.

@alwaysstranger I never said that I get morality from the bible. I said that it was the first thing that I read of morals. So, it must mean, that I got a basic definition of morals from it. I am now having more of a secular morality.

Well.
    1st sorry for the misunderstanding
    2nd that's great
    3rd read sam harris on morality

• @sir-devil well. I guess this is done. You failed to show me how Christopher Hitchebs should have viewed and treated religion any differently. This isn't bad

• @alwaysstranger I never said that I get morality from the bible. I said that it was the first thing that I read of morals. So, it must mean, that I got a basic definition of morals from it. I am now having more of a secular morality.

• @alwaysstranger It may have been better, who knows how different their lives might have played out without the religion. Usually, the horrible things that are done are not due to the religion itself but due to some person using it as an excuse for committing it. They are the one who is perverting the base ideology of the religion to make it as an excuse.

World Wars

I never said that that was a merit

I need to go offline now. I'm tired and I got work to do. I can't stop it frequently, to type a message.

Me too. Goodnight, sweet dreams

@alwaysstranger okay. I can understand. So, let me correct my statement. I won't say that I don't follow old testament. I follow only those that are applicable and morally right.

But what do you use to decide if they're right and morally applicable..... YOU USE SECULAR THINKING. So why don't you through out the whole "I geT MoRAliTy FrOm The bIBle" thing and start following secular morality amd maybe even draw a little inspiration from some things in the bible and other books of fiction if you want like the 3 little pigs

@alwaysstranger Yes, it may be better but still, they have to live one way or another. If they are not stupid, they would not have considered suicide in the first place

Yeah that's true for a very small percentage of cases but 1st it would've been better if there was no religion in their lives from the 1st place 2nd you're really trying too hard to find merit in religion. I think i have already shown by how much you're trying that the horrible things about religions VASTLY outweigh the merits.

Could be. But still, the separation due to other reasons like countries and language have been the one to cause the most damage, so far.

I don't see how difference between countries and language cause any damage without big differences in ideologies like religion

Lol, I should have only used the word, "accepting". Anyway, try to see my point here, okay.

There is no point to be made. Religion only separates people on the bigger scale

Yes, I failed to show that they cause unity in large scale but still, though it was done for evil intentions, terrorism was different by being one of the first to unite so many people with just religion.

I fail to see how this is a merit of religion

• I need to go offline now. I'm tired and I got work to do. I can't stop it frequently, to type a message.

• @alwaysstranger okay. I can understand. So, let me correct my statement. I won't say that I don't follow old testament. I follow only those that are applicable and morally right.

• @alwaysstranger Yes, it may be better but still, they have to live one way or another. If they are not stupid, they would not have considered suicide in the first place,

Could be. But still, the separation due to other reasons like countries and language have been the one to cause the most damage, so far.

Lol, I should have only used the word, "accepting". Anyway, try to see my point here, okay.

Yes, I failed to show that they cause unity in large scale but still, though it was done for evil intentions, terrorism was different by being one of the first to unite so many people with just religion.

@alwaysstranger said in [Re] let's talk:

That's not the point. The point is that you believe in the old testament if you believe in the 10 commandements so the "but that's in the old testament" excuse is bad

there is room for exceptions, right?

NOPE. If you want to be logical exceptions are not welcome

And by the way. Special pleading is a logical fallacy

Looks like your connection to Free Chat Rooms Online - StrangerBook - Social Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.